HI I'm 13 and I started playing my guitar about 4-5 months ago. I was wondering if starting right now is early or late? And whatever the answer, would I be able to get play songs from Guns N' Roses, ACDC, or Van Halen anytime soon? I can play some parts of their songs but when it comes to the Solos I can't quite move my hands that fast. I guess my question is will I be able to play the solos? Or did I start to late? Any answers and advice would be apprectiated. Thanks.
Quote by josephmaio123
HI I'm 13 and I started playing my guitar about 4-5 months ago. I was wondering if starting right now is early or late? And whatever the answer, would I be able to get play songs from Guns N' Roses, ACDC, or Van Halen anytime soon? I can play some parts of their songs but when it comes to the Solos I can't quite move my hands that fast. I guess my question is will I be able to play the solos? Or did I start to late? Any answers and advice would be apprectiated. Thanks.

Man I would have killed to start guitar that early, and I'll tell an uncle of mine started playing at around 8, and was playing Van Halen by 13...so you got plenty of time
Strange beautiful grass of green,
With your majestic silver seas
Your mysterious mountains I wish to see closer
May I land my kinky machine
No of course you havent. I started at age 15 and how i wish i had started earlier. The common problem with people of your age group (no offence and I'm not saying you're like this) is sticking with things. As long as you keep the determination and stick with the instrument you'll do fine. However, you will only be able to manage those solos if you actually progress as a guitarist.
k basically i started at 13, and it just takes practice to get your fingers to move faster, my fingers still dont move as fast as i would like, and im 16 now, just find some excersizes to do like ermmm

e|---------------------------------------------1-2-3-4
b|------------------------------------1-2-3-4---------
g|---------------------------1-2-3-4------------------
D|------------------1-2-3-4---------------------------
A|---------1-2-3-4------------------------------------
E|1-2-3-4---------------------------------------------

and then descend

basically just things like that, that will help with your synchonisation with both hands and speed, also if you come across a tricky part, break it down, play it slowly at first and build up the speed making sure you stay clean and in time.

dont worry about it it will all come in time
yeah it seems like most people start around the ages of 12-16 give or take
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
No I don't think it's too late. I'm 14 and I've only been playing for a year (I got my mom's really old guitar on lmy 13th birthday). I did give up on it for a while cause I haven't taken lessons and learning on my own was really hard. But I got a new electric guitar on my 14th birthday and now I'm playing again. It'll probably take you a little while before you can play those solos. The hardest thing I can play is the solo from "Mardy Bum" by Arctic Monkeys. You might wanna start with some easier stuff though. Arctic Monkey songs have a lot of easy riffs. You should try "Fake Tales of Sanfrancisco" and "Red Light Indicates doors are secured" just so you can practice some easier songs.
Good luck!
(<~*Quo Vadis Baby?*~>
I think 13 is a good age to start. I learned just a few basics when I was 13, then fooled around on my dad's accoustic when I was 14, and now I just recently turned 15, and I've been progressing a bit more.

I know what you mean about only being able to play parts of songs. usually I just learn a few riffs rather than learning the whole thing.

A lot of Nirvana's stuff is pretty easy, although it's pretty repetitive (but that does make it easier to learn the whole song!)

But yeah, keep up the good work!
13 is a great age to start. I wish I had started that early. Don't worry about being late, I started when I was about 22 I think.