Hey buds!
I've decided I'm going to have to re-learn how to shred. I've been doing it with bad technique all along..

well, I wasn't a 20nps guy before, but maybe around 13nps.

Alexi Laiho is my main inspiration, so I'd be happy if I can learn to write and play like that. I don't care if you think he is sloppy.

With that said, coudl one of you "master shredders" post what I should work on.
and how to achieve that speed.

I understand you guys say work with metronome, but how so..?
I also hear, watch your technique and relax.. How? and What will it do?
It takes time... How long am I expecting so I'll know what I'm doing?

Questions like that.
Thanks ahead of time!

Oh yeah, and I'm not so much worried on sweeping right now, I think I've got that handled, its just the Alternate picking.

Appreciate it

P.S. any certain exercises and drills would help so I'll know what to practice when I do exercises.

EDIT: I'm not asking how to play CoB songs, when I say write like that, I mean I want to be able to compose a song as they do.
Work with a metronome by playing whole notes, half notes, quarter notes, eight notes, sixteenth note, etc. It helps you improve your speed and keep in time. Play chromatics and other scales.

If you watch technique and relax, you won't get used to a lot of tension in your body and that is good. Good technique is important as well.
Quote by spuime4c1es
well, I wasn't a 20nps guy before, but maybe around 13nps.

If you're serious about it - you must get rid of that attitude right away. Seeing your guitar playnig as a note per second measurment. With that measurment in your head you're never going to get passed a certain point. If you practice for the sole purpose of winning a speed competition, you're not going to go very far. Stop pushing.

Quote by spuime4c1es
I understand you guys say work with metronome, but how so..?

Kirby has already explained - look into note divisions and time signatures.

Bear in mind though, a metronome will not increase your speed. It's a device for measuring and maintaing the pace you're playing at, but more importantly it's a device, that if used with correct practice will leave you with killer chops and killer timing.

Quote by spuime4c1es
I also hear, watch your technique and relax.. How? and What will it do?

This is the killer, the make or break.

If you truly want to play to the best of your ability, you have to relax. Physically and mentally.

What will it do
? Improve your technique to heights you didn't think possible.

The first hurdle is to get over pushing for speed. That alone is mental tension, you're constantly putting yourself under stress by pushing to win an imaginary speed competition with other guitarists. If you keep this mindset, you're going nowhere but downhill.

Physical and mental relaxation, awareness and concentration is what will make or break you - I highly recommend you read the following two books.

'The Principles Of Correct Practice For Guitar' by Jamie Andreas.

'Effortless Mastery: Liberating The Master Musician Within' by Kenny Werner.

Quote by spuime4c1es
It takes time... How long am I expecting so I'll know what I'm doing?

It takes time and patience.

Don't expect it to come, wait for it to come and it will come.

Expect it and you'll start pushing.

Although, the general consensus and answer most people with experience would give is 'your whole life'.

Quote by spuime4c1es
P.S. any certain exercises and drills would help so I'll know what to practice when I do exercises.

'Speed Mechanics For Lead Guitar' by Troy Stetina.