This is my very fist mod, or mod attempt, and im taking much time so I can do it to the best of my ability. Its a stagg Musicman replica. Good at first, but now its terrible, so im going to rip it apart. And do the following:

Defrett the neck- Possibility, i don't know for sure if im going to, it'd be nice to have a frettless though.
New pickup maybe a Seymour Duncan SMB4D.
Some new tuners.
A new bridge
A new paintjob with a logo, white body black logo.
White neck, with black stripe down the middle.

So on day one, i was so excited to start i nearly popped a nut and took about 50 pictures of about every component of the guitar, but i narrowed it down to about 6 that show whats going on.

This is the bass just before i took the sonofabitch apart.

This is when i took the neck off.

And lastly this is the neck with no tuners and the bass body.

Then I started to take down the body, i took everything out of it, and i started to take off the paint. Due to the fact i have no sander, I had to use some paint stripper to take it down to a sandable layer.

The wood was starting to show at this point.

Kinda nice? I think so.

So please any suggestions, please tell me what I should do, I've already sanded the neck, put the white paint on, and now i've put the black stripe down it, i'll take pictures of that after.

Any idea's of what I should use for a bridge? Good choice of pickups? Tuners? And the defretting idea, good idea bad idea? I've read some tutorials and it doesnt seem TOO TOO complicated. And any suggestions please do tell!
Is this your only bass? If so, I wouldn't recommend defretting. It's a cool sound, but you always need a normal for the majority of your playing.
Oh no! I'd never ever do this unless I had another bass. I play a warwick 5 string bolt on.

I love that bass to death.

And I really like the sound of the fretless, so i figured I would.

But does anyone have any ideas as to what I should use for tuners, a bridge, and the pickup? I love to slap, and I know nothing about pickups so all feedback is appreciated.
Last edited by stevetravale at Aug 14, 2006,
yea totally knock those frets out, you can play some pretty cool stuff with fretless basses. i love the sound, only if fretless guitars sounded better, the gage of string on a fretless guitar has to be pretty thick so it sounds right, or use flatwound strings which suck.

and about the de-fret, definately fill the gaps with epoxy while its still off the body, and maby coat your fretboard with a thin layer of epoxy so it wont get worn out by the strings rubbing on it.
Will the epoxy give it a nice kind of, refelctive plastive cover look and feel to it? That'd be the balls. Or does it just protect it? Either way im down for some fretless lovin'.
it would give it a cool plastic shine to it, but its kind of hard to sand by hand unless you have strong arms or something. so maby use a belt sander.

and i found this great chamilion paint from duplicolor(http://www.duplicolor.com/products/mirage.html) it's a diy color changing paint and looks pretty cool. and its definately cheaper than a pro doing it.
I have heard people filling in the fret slots with wood. Someting dark to offset the maple. I think that would be beautiful.
Im probably going to just use an epoxy, im by no means at all a craftsman, and that seems like the easiest way .

But putting something like you said would be amazing, but I don't want to try that on my first try you know? Unless it wouldnt be that hard, would it be?
its pretty hard to do inlay, thats why i didnt recomend it, this being your first build and all...
Yeah, I figured it would be pretty tough to to, and I wouldn't want to fux everything up, so epoxy it is.

Any ideas anyone for the pickups, bridge, tuners, whatever?
its not that hard, as long as you cut the pieces the right sizes you won't have any trouble...

Quote by robbo_0013
UniverseZero is some kind of pwnerer of numerals

Quote by spazzymagee417
your avatar entertains me.
Well if I can find some wood, ill try it on the first few frets and see how well I can do it without screwing it all up.

And I took some more pictures, the neck and the body.

For the neck I didnt mask the wood as well as I should have and some of the black stripe bled onto the white.

So im going to have to make the strip about a centimeter bigger on both sides rather than sanding it down, or touching it up.

The body is being a bitch, its getting hard to get the laquer up, and i have no sander, only sandpaper so its going to be awhile.

there is no inlay from what me n metalicaman80 are talking about

you simply replace the fret with a dark colored wood- and sand it flush- spo you can still tell where the frets are- but wihtout the frets- looks real good- look at lespaulmarshalls thread

btw- if you do do that- invest in a miter saw to clean the fret joints so ensure a good , quality seat
you should sand it a little bit better before lacquering it... what kind of wood is that?

Quote by robbo_0013
UniverseZero is some kind of pwnerer of numerals

Quote by spazzymagee417
your avatar entertains me.
Won't sanding down the fretboard cause the arch in the fretboard to... not be there anymore? Im sorry I sound completely and totally nooblike, thank you all for being so nice.

And im not exactly sure what kind of wood it is, ill get back to you on that.
Quote by UniverseZero
you should sand it a little bit better before lacquering it... what kind of wood is that?

Solid alder apparently.
Could'nt I just get a dark epoxy to put in between the frets? It'd look like wood, and it'd be pretty too .
Make sure if you use epoxy to let it set alot longer then they say on the package cause I tried that once and it stained the hell out of the fret board and completely ruined it. Plus be careful when sanding on the fret board. because unless you have fretboard radius sanding blocks you may end up screwing with the radius of the fret board and having a useless neck.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
Make sure if you use epoxy to let it set alot longer then they say on the package cause I tried that once and it stained the hell out of the fret board and completely ruined it. Plus be careful when sanding on the fret board. because unless you have fretboard radius sanding blocks you may end up screwing with the radius of the fret board and having a useless neck.

Thats what I was worried about, how should I go about sanding the fretboard then? Or should just do it very lightly and slowly untill i get what I want instead of sanding the **** out of it?

And when thats all done just a clear coat of epoxy over the fretboard should do?

Thanks very much again everyone for all your help.

If this makes the fretboard look anyhting like the ones here

http://www.woodwiz.com/epoxy/pictures.html

Id end up uppercutting a photographer.
Last edited by stevetravale at Aug 15, 2006,
Those pics are how it should look with epoxy over it, and yeah just sand it little by little until you get what you want or else you'll ruin the fret board.
Alright, and the layer of laquer on the wood right now is being really stubborn in coming off, should I just keep going at it by hand or should I look at finding a sander?
Power sanders usually make it easier, but if you dont mind using a little elbow grease you can finish it off by hand.
Make sure you use a coarse grit paper like 60 grit to get the paint off, then work your way up to like 220 grit to smooth it out. If you start with 120 grit and try to get the paint off that way it takes too long and wears you out faster.