Maybe it's been asked before since I think more people wonder about this but search dindn't give me any relevant results. So anyway, why are punk and ska always listed as one catagory? Not only on UG but also on al lot of other music websites. I know there is a lot of ska-punk music (a crossover between these two musical genres) but still punk and ska (in their pure form so to say) are two entierly different kinds of music. I mean comeon punk is basicly energetic powerchord-based guitar driven music that has anarchistic roots in the usa and uk (afaik, I'm not an expert on punk nor am I an expert on ska), while ska is more laidback, jamaican-style dancing music with the accent after the beat so it get a real unique rythem. (I know there is more to these genres than just that ofcourse). A lot of people I know like ska, but don't like punk. Or the other way around. So to me it seems totally illogical to always but these two musical genres togehter. Anyone know why they are always put together?
Same ideologies and same culture really. Two different peas in the same pod.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Plus they got mashed together in the 2nd and 3rd waves. Only 1st wave ska is completely punk-free.
Quote by Rankles
Same ideologies and same culture really. Two different peas in the same pod.

The ideologies are similar, but not the same. The first wave off punk was mostly about anarchism but the first wave of ska had a more rastafari-related ideologie (involving Babylon and Zion and all that) And the black jamaican culture that brought forth ska is something completly different from the usa and uk counter-culture that spawned punk. Jamaica and the usa/uk are two different worlds so to say, especially if you look at the times when ska and punk were born.
Quote by sargasm
Plus they got mashed together in the 2nd and 3rd waves. Only 1st wave ska is completely punk-free.

yeah.