Hi
i want to build a guitar. it's going to be cheap because it's the first time i do it and i dont want to loose much money on it. i've got wood (only and it is'nt shaped). does anybody have plans to make a 6-string guitar designed for metal? any ideas would be nice
2 Hum
Floyd
24 frets
Jackson dinky style body

thankx in advance
What tools do you have and what kind of wood is it?
Native Pride

Better to reign in hell

Member of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join, luthier's only
Member of The Future Embrace, UG's Billy Corgan/Smashing Pumpkins fan club. PM musiclover2399 to join .
you can only buy templates.... plans are harder to find, only LP and acoustics have reliable blueprints to follow

Quote by robbo_0013
UniverseZero is some kind of pwnerer of numerals

Quote by spazzymagee417
your avatar entertains me.
Quote by UniverseZero
you can only buy templates.... plans are harder to find, only LP and acoustics have reliable blueprints to follow

That's not really true. You could get reliable plans for a strat or even a dinky. You'd have to look over the plans to make sure who ever wrote them wasn't a complete nutjob.

Someone could just as easily give you a crappy LP plan as anything else.
tell me a reliable site that sells plans for strats or other models? LP plans are sold on stewmac...

Quote by robbo_0013

Quote by spazzymagee417
Ask anyone who is reliable who actually has the guitar. I mean templates are the only thing you really need. As long as you have the outline and pickup routing outline, the rest is up to you. You can find the rest on the internet.
Quote by opticon
What tools do you have and what kind of wood is it?

i have a dremel, hammers, lots of hand working stuff (i dont know their names), sander machine, circular saw, jig saw, hammerdrills, lots of screws
i dont know what is the kind of wood but is similar to alder in color

i' portuguese, sorry about the gramar and the names i dont know
some photographs could be helpful to identify the wood... do you have a router?

Quote by robbo_0013

Quote by spazzymagee417
Quote by UniverseZero
some photographs could be helpful to identify the wood... do you have a router?

i'll try to get pics of the wood soon.
i've a black and decker workbench that does the job
ok, have you thought what kind of hardware you will use? pick ups? tuners? bridge? knobs? wiring? controls? jack? pickguard?

will you get a predone neck or will you build that too?

Quote by robbo_0013

Quote by spazzymagee417
i was thinking on a dual humbucker, with a tremolo (floyd if cheap), 1 volume 1 tone, without pickguard. i dont know anything about tuners, jack or wiring.
active pickups worth the price?

i've seen that a neck is a bit dificult to build and in portugal there are few places to order some of the material needed so i though buy a neck from ebay but i'ld like to build one if someone help
Power tools you need to build a guitar are: bandsaw, sander, a joiner (unless you're really good at handplaning) a router, and a drill press. Without those its really iffy if your instrument will work the way its supposed to.
Native Pride

Better to reign in hell

Member of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join, luthier's only
Member of The Future Embrace, UG's Billy Corgan/Smashing Pumpkins fan club. PM musiclover2399 to join .
Quote by opticon
Power tools you need to build a guitar are: bandsaw, sander, a joiner (unless you're really good at handplaning) a router, and a drill press. Without those its really iffy if your instrument will work the way its supposed to.

lies, it will just take you longer to make it without it but with some chisels, a hammer, a couple of screwdrivers and sandpaper you can build a guitar....

about the pickups, it depends on the sound you want, I actually don't like active ones but to each his own.... by wiring i mean how many volume/tone pots you will have and what selector you will use, but you already said buckers 1 tone and 1 volume... the jack, i mean where are you going to put it (its where you plug the cable) and the tuners could be grover, gotoh, or any other brand.....

Quote by robbo_0013

Quote by spazzymagee417
Quote by UniverseZero
lies, it will just take you longer to make it without it but with some chisels, a hammer, a couple of screwdrivers and sandpaper you can build a guitar....

about the pickups, it depends on the sound you want, I actually don't like active ones but to each his own.... by wiring i mean how many volume/tone pots you will have and what selector you will use, but you already said buckers 1 tone and 1 volume... the jack, i mean where are you going to put it (its where you plug the cable) and the tuners could be grover, gotoh, or any other brand.....

hmmm... the cheapest! (but a good ones). the jack could be located on the side of the body. the selector maybe a 3way toogle with a kill switch
Quote by Untitled001
Heheheheheh...

hahaha
lollll

so anyway
for advice etc. first you should have a plan. and some specific question. i dont think you can expect us to give you a step by step process on how to make the entire guitar.

so just where are you going to start? with the body? well then, shape the body the way you want it and ask question about things you dont know ^^
Quote by bornfidelity
hahaha
lollll

so anyway
for advice etc. first you should have a plan. and some specific question. i dont think you can expect us to give you a step by step process on how to make the entire guitar.

so just where are you going to start? with the body? well then, shape the body the way you want it and ask question about things you dont know ^^

sorry about the post. it was for another thread i have. my mistake
Last edited by dudusrb at Aug 15, 2006,
if i use a on/off kill switch, can i change from bridge pickup to neck one and mute the sound? (if in off position) and is possible to use one to control the amount of gain?

here it is a pic of what i'ld like to do
Attachments:
CHM3.JPG