I've been able to find next to nothing about EMG's, particularly prices. Not planning on getting them anytime soon, but in case I ever do, I want to have a general price range. Also, what H-S-H combination would be good for Carcass/Arch Enemy(more Carcass) type of stuff? And do you guys know of any places that sell them near LA in California? My parents never order off the internet.
All you need to know is at http://www.emginc.com . For a death metal sound, I would have to go with probably 85 in the bridge(81 is acceptable), the single coil I wouldn't know about. And the Neck pup you should probably go with a EMG 60 for clean, but if you want it dirty, then I guess an 85.

81 and 85 are $124 each I believe (From their website.)
Gear

Son Of Beast *IDW it anymore*
Peavey 6505+ Head
Marshall 1960A Cab

Quote by Draken
Guys relax if you can't joke about genocide then what can you do?
You can get them at a Guitar Center.

The guy above me nailed the price and a very good combination of the pickups
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
the 124$ is the retail price... they go for about 80 buks. emgs are good for pretty much all metal so youll be fine. they sell them at guitar center and sam ash. theyre usually cheaper at sam ash but call to make sure theyre in stock if you gonna get them.
Washburn X50
Peavey Triple XXX
BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer
MXR M-134 Smart Gate
Furman M8
B-52 LG412
Oh, I didn't know they sold them at Guitar Center or Sam Ash since they don't show up on the website. It's now much more convenient and $80 seems nice. Even $124 isn't all that bad. So I'm guessing 81/85 combination is typically the way to go, seems everyone else likes it too.

Anyway, what effect will the EMG's have on my tone? Switching from Ibanez INF pickups(RG370DX)? I know it should give me more punch or something along those lines but any sustain or otherwise tonal differences?
Oh wait, what kind of amp do you have? Thats pretty important
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
*cringes*
Spider II. Keep in mind I said I wasn't going to get the EMG's any time soon, but wanted an idea of the price range and which to use. I guess a next amp suggestion might be a good idea?
$100ish each, on average. Get an 81 in the bridge and 85 in the neck. Unless you care about cleans, in which case 81 in bridge and 60 in the neck.
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
81 for more cut, 85 for more bass, 60 for cleans, S for even better cleans (Single Coil). I'd get a 5150 combo for Arch Enemy and Carcass...since Amott uses 5150's. Who ever says he uses Krank is either a noobcake or doen't know much about Arch Enemy.

EDIT: Actually, here is an old EMG thread that gives some good descriptions.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=342344&highlight=EMG+thread
As I see the ignorance of humanity engulfing reason and sanity like a wave of perpetual defeat and misery I ask myself, when the hell is everyone going to shut up and actually think?
^ Last time I heard he used Krank Revolution One's (That's what he said in Total Guitar when they asked him a while ago anyways)

Of course if you buy a Krank R1 odds are it's not going to be the same as the one he plays, a 5150 would probably be a safer choice
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Quote by GNR4EVER
^ Last time I heard he used Krank Revolution One's (That's what he said in Total Guitar when they asked him a while ago anyways)

Of course if you buy a Krank R1 odds are it's not going to be the same as the one he plays, a 5150 would probably be a safer choice

Either he uses 5150's that aren't shown on stage or the Kranks he uses are just slightly modded 5150's in a Krank case.
As I see the ignorance of humanity engulfing reason and sanity like a wave of perpetual defeat and misery I ask myself, when the hell is everyone going to shut up and actually think?
Is the 6505 the same as a 5150 or some crappy new version? It says it's a "re-release".

EDIT: What if I plan to use a distortion pedal instead of amp distortion? If I can use the pedal and still take advantage of the EMG's, what's a good distortion pedal(for my previously mentioned kinda stuff of course)?
Last edited by grampastumpy at Aug 15, 2006,
well a distortion pedal is like the preamp to any SS amp's overdrive......(there is tube ones) but EMGs dont sound like crap in a SS you just dont get all EMG experience...
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
Quote by grampastumpy
Is the 6505 the same as a 5150 or some crappy new version? It says it's a "re-release".

EDIT: What if I plan to use a distortion pedal instead of amp distortion? If I can use the pedal and still take advantage of the EMG's, what's a good distortion pedal(for my previously mentioned kinda stuff of course)?

It is the EXACT same thing. Here's how it is, the 5150 was EVH's signature amp. When he left Peavey, he took his infamous numbers with him. The amp was so dammed good, Peavey decided to re-release it as the 6505, on the 65th anniversery (sp?) of the Peavey company, which was in 2005...65-05.
Quote by grampastumpy

if you get a 5150, you don't need distortion pedals. period. i almost bought one, but it doesn't have a good clean channel.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by grampastumpy
HOLY CRAP, $1200!?!?!? I'm 13...

Well, distortion pedal or cheaper alternative it is.

Well I think the 6505/5150 is one of the more affordable great metal amps. Its no ENGL for 2200 bucks.
Affordable? Wow...

Well I guess I'll wait till I get a job or something. So any suggestions for a pedal or other amp?
get a randall rg series guitar. those have a nice saturated distortion. try one out and see if you like it.
Quote by grampastumpy
HOLY CRAP, $1200!?!?!? I'm 13...

Well, distortion pedal or cheaper alternative it is.

Chill dude, you could get one used like me
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Let's see, I'm guessing they're closer to $800 used?

Would they carry used 6505's in a Sam Ash or something? My parents hate the internet as I mentioned before.
^Actually, I've seen one go for $360, but I'm assuming your parents hate ebay so...
Go with the Randall guy or a Roland Cube (although I would really recommend saving up)
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?