Hello, my uncle gave me an old acoustic he got in the 70'sand i was re-stringing it and the nut came off, the glue let go, i was wondering what kind of glue i should use to re attach it, the nut is still good and all.
People try to put us d-down Talkin' 'bout my generation
Just because we get around Talkin' 'bout my generation
Things they do look awful c-c-cold Talkin' 'bout my generation
I hope I die before I get old Talkin' 'bout my generation
could i use a cement or super glue, or wood glue?
well i would rather glue it just for saftey reasons..contact cement alright??
safety? lol, don't worry, despite the usual talk of strings flying and cutting people eyes, it isn't true, at least for steel strung guitars, nylon strung however, well there lethal lol
If you really have too them use gum.
You should probably go to a doctor

Seriously, take it down to the local music shop, thats what I did when my Epiphone busted it's nut.
Quote by old_toad
You don't even need to re-attatch it, the tension of the strings on the nut will hold it in place anyway.

That sounded so wrong.

Anyways, take it to a music store if you don't know what you're doing.
Huzzah! It is I, S0ulja, the Duke Of Swiss, 3rd member of the Royal order of cheese!

PM Soulfly_freak or sock_demon to join
No, I wouldn't use a really strong glue in case you want to remove it later. I just use a dab of white glue to hold them in, and then the tension of the strings will do the rest.
Superglue/Gorilla glue is a BAD idea. What if you want to change the nut, or if it breaks again later? You don't need strong glue.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Don't use gorilla glue, it's a repairers nightmare. Use some white glue or something like tightbond or elmers. Just use a small dot of glue, a larger amount isn't needed and it just makes future replacements harder.
Quote by dave293
Don't use gorilla glue, it's a repairers nightmare. Use some white glue or something like tightbond or elmers. Just use a small dot of glue, a larger amount isn't needed and it just makes future replacements harder.

this guy knows it; all you want to use is a small blob of wood glue at each end, anything stronger will be a bitch in the future if only part of it cracks as it'll not be too easy to remove the remaining bit