OK i've been playing to years and i have finally got my fingers to a decent speed, but there's a problem. My picking hand cant pick as fast as my finger move, any tips that might help me speed up?
Last edited by chobbsy at Aug 14, 2006,
try using a metronome at slow tempos to bring your two hands to an equilibrium
Quote by Zamboni
And don't anchor your pink/wrist to the guitar.

I do that and shred just fine

What you guys were saying about chromatics. I feel that its better to practice real licks rather than monotnus atonal exercises. Thats just me. ha
Quote by Zamboni
You do it and shred just wrong.

uh alright

it doesnt matter how you position your hand everyones different
Quote by archaeon
it doesnt matter how you position your hand everyones different

Yes, it really does matter.

See, there's an inefficient way: Anchoring your hand to the guitar therefore restricting motion, creating tension, and becoming an overall hinderance to your playing. And there's an efficient way: Unanchoring your hand and having a free range of motion and no tension in your wrist.

There was a whole thread on "Anchor or No Anchor" where myself, and numerous other reputable MT-regulars outlined the advantage to unanchored playing, look it up.
you know, archaeon can probably play faster then a lot of people that dont anchor, its all personal preference man, none of this "too much tension in your hand" crap, there are some things in life that you can do the "wrong way" but if you do it enough you can do it better then most can the "right way"
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Please don't turn this into the "Anchor or no anchor?" thread. I will just delete all the posts.

chobbsy: use the search function.
Looking for my India/Django.
Quote by EZLN libertad
its all personal preference man, none of this "too much tension in your hand" crap

Fine, believe that. I'm tired of trying to explain technique and efficiency to you cocky kids.

In 10-20 years when you have carpal tunnel or some other related tendon problem, maybe you'll respect that "too much tension in your hand" crap.
Quote by Zamboni
Fine, believe that. I'm tired of trying to explain technique and efficiency to you cocky kids.

In 10-20 years when you have carpal tunnel or some other related tendon problem, maybe you'll respect that "too much tension in your hand" crap.

how are we being cocky if anything your just being ignorant

I almost use no tension in my hands when playing other than holding the pick tight

Your way may be more "efficent" but mine gets the job done.