I have real tuning issues with my G string, although my intonition is almost perfect. Can I put a Thirdwould G sting of the sameSize on instead? Would I have to do anywork to my guitar?
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
You mean a fourth wound?, You should already have three, anyway I would think you would have to Adjust the bridge because of the extra tension but I've seen people with fourth wounds all the time,

Normal: w (wound) u (unwound)

E A D G B E
w w w u u u

You:

E A D G B E
w w w w u u
Last edited by Spade1 at Aug 14, 2006,
if you change to a wound string, itll add tension, and you might have to rework your intonation. It depends on what string guage you are coming from and going to. Ive chagned my regular 10's, to the zakk wyde signature series strings, and i had to redo the whole tension on my les paul, and fix up the bridge quite a bit. But then again the low E on the zakk wylde strings are like as thick as an G string on a bass!

anyway, you can try, but im pretty sure youd have to do some tweaking when you change. GOing from unwound to a wound is quite a bit of difference, good luck,
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
I was going to Change it to .10's and putting on a wound G and getting the shop to fix all that when I put he new 'bucker Im getting from Ebay.

I was considering trying out a wound g string, can anyone tell me what kind of sound and playability difference to expect?
Soundwise, I believe wound strings age more quickly, so you won't have that fresh string sound for as long.

Playability: Sliding might feel different, and you'll get more squeaks when sliding.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
If you don't have string fingers it can be hard to bebd atfirst, but just buy/rent a bass and workwith that for a while and you wont notice ever again.

Is it true that the pickups in 50's and 57 reissue strats work best with wound g strings? I heard that here before.
Quote by Spade1
You mean a fourth wound?, You should already have three

The G string = The third string.