hey, I'm thinking of buying a distortion/fuzz pedal.

I'm into Hendrix so i was thinking of getting a dallas arbiter fuzz face, i've never tried it, but knowing that Hendrix used it, it's probably pretty good but I'm not sure because from what i've seen it's technically primitive (basic) just volume and fuzz control dials (though i think thats all you need).

i'm also thinking about the Roger Mayer Axis Fuzz pedal (rocket series). Roger Mayer is the guy who built many of Hendrix's effects pedals, so he knows what he's doing and again i'm assuming it's good. i've heard audio samples of the Axis Fuzz on his website (roger-mayer.co.uk) and i think it sounds great 'cause it has lots of sustain with great tone and you can get great feedback like jimi. i really like this fuzz pedal but it's a little steep on the cost.

finally i'm thinking about the Boss ds-2 distortion which john frusciante uses so again i assume it's good. i don't know much about it and the only things tempting me to buy is that frusciante uses it (i like his sounds but ultimately i prefer Jimi's) and that it's a lot cheaper than the other two i mentioned.

so my question is: which one (overall) should i get?

a- dallas arbiter fuzz face- the one hendrix actually used but don't know if i should a more modern pedal.

b-roger mayer axis fuzz pedal- made by the guy who built hendrix's pedals, great but expensive

c-boss ds-2 distortion pedal- not quite the hendrix sound but frusciante is good enough and it saves me a lot of money

i would really appreciate it if people can give there own personal views/experiences of
these pedals or suggest other pedals so i can make my mind up.

thanks.
another one you should look into is the electro harmonix big muff american. its pretty cheap and i imagine you could get some pretty good jimi/frusciante tones outta it.
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
If you've got the money for the Roger Mayer, why don't you try to track down a vintage Fuzz Face from the '60's? It'll get you the closest to the Hendrix sound.
thanks guys for your suggestions. (and sorry for late reply)
I eventually ended up getting the boss ds-2 (arrived yesterday) because the other two were either hard to find or expensive.

I listened to some big muff pi audio samples and thought some were good and some weren't so I was unsure. also a few people say the russian big muff is better but couldn't find any audio samples so I was even more unsure. so i obviously didn't get one

anyway i think the ds-2 is pretty good, it's got the smooth thick sound with great tone, which was what i wanted.

I'm thinking of getting for next pedals I'm thinking of getting:

-Vox V847 Wah (which i have won on ebay, and should be arriving soon)
-keeley modded boss BD-2 Blues Driver
-Maxon OD-9
-MXR 10 band EQ
-Krorg GA30 Tuner

-maybe i'll eventually get a big muff (american or russian, don't know which yet) as it's a highly recommended fuzz pedal, and john frusciante has one, so it's tempting.

I also hope (next year) to improve my sound in terms of amps, from my marshall 8080, to a marshall jcm900 (full or half stack)

And when I have a lot of money (years from now or if i get a job, then not too long) and find them i'll get an original dallas arbiter fuzz face and a Univox Univibe

what do you guys think about my future purchases?

i'll appreciate it if you other suggestions on pedals.

thanks.
You can't always just listen to an audio sample, you have to try the pedal out for yourself, I think you should have gone for the Big Muff because it's cheap and it'll produce a sound that you like with the right tweakings.
^Big no no. I bought one, was terrible.

John Frusciante doesn't use the DS-2 as his distortion, he uses it as a boost to boost his Big Muff, but glad you like it.

And you should give a Muff a go in real life, you might like.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
i heard the fuzz face re-issues are no where near as good as the originals.

my local guitar shop doesn't have big muff's, the only way to try is if i go to a giant music store that's an hour away.

and please can you tell the difference between the american and russian big muffs.

thanks.
Travel for an hour.

USA ones are more over the top, and the Russian ones seem to be a bit more gritty, I've got a Russian one, I used to have a USA one.
Don't be afraid to care"

Quote by R_H_C_P
Travel for an hour.

USA ones are more over the top, and the Russian ones seem to be a bit more gritty, I've got a Russian one, I used to have a USA one.

so you recommend the russian one?
It's all personal preference really, you might like the USA more for all I know.
Don't be afraid to care"

i was planning to have the keeley modded boss bd-2 as a boost for the DS-2 but do you think i should get the big muff instead of the BD-2 and have the DS-2 as a boost for the big muff.
If u want the treu hendrix sound (ca. 1967) u should get the fulltone 69 fuzz.I know it's expensive but it's worth it's money!!
^ i don't know if i can wait to get one of them, i'm pretty impatient but if i come across one i'll try it and see.
ok, i've been doing a lot of research and i've decided not to get a big muff simply because the american one is a little over the top like R_H_C_P said and isn't versatile at all, although i like the smooth fuzz you can get from it, i would really like it if had a crunchier sound without going over the top. the problem with the russian big muff is that although it has a crunchier sound, i'd also like it to be more versatile, and to have true bypass, i don't want the tone to be sucked.

so i think i'll just get the Maxon OD-9, or the Maxon OD-9 Pro+. they're a lot more versatile and have better tone to me, you can get any type of overdrive/distortion from them including smooth clean solos with sustain much like SRV.