Yes, yes, I know. I've heard it a thousand times. "MG's suck get something better," "MG's have horrible tone." etc.

Even so, I'd still like to know if there is a way to make it a decent practice amp. Right now mine sounds weak at lower volumes (under 2 on volume knob with master volume at 10), but, although sounding stronger above that, the buzzing also starts. The infamous "bee's nest." Is there a way to get rid of it? What is it that causes the buzzing?

And please. NO FLAMING OR TROLLING! I'm looking to have an intelligent discussion here - not an MG bash-fest. There are plenty of those already.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
I've played one, then they had to give me the adrinilan STRIAGHT to the heart! JK, but I did play one and, even with all the fiddling I did, nothing got rid of the bees I would just use the Marshall name and try to sell it. When you get a new amp, depending on what it is, if you still need a good practice amp look into the almight Cube, I have a micro and it's perfect for practicing during the dead of night
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
I don't really know, maybe change out the speaker for something higher quality. Should partially help. Also, maybe a new cabinet?
Muddy Waters Tele - Signed by the members of Canned Heat
PRS Soapbar SE - Signed by Michael Angelo Batio
H&K Statesman Quad EL-84
Dunlop Wah (modded to JH specs)
Mine's just the 50w...so a cabinet wouldn't help.

Also, I'd jsut like to point out that it didn't buzz at first. It didn't have a single problem until about a month ago. It didn't sound amazing or anything, but it was reliable and didn't buzz.

Would a noise gate be able get rid of it?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
In other words, put WAY too much money into an MG. I would just sell it man, get something better
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
Quote by Xenn99
Mine's just the 50w...so a cabinet wouldn't help.

Also, I'd jsut like to point out that it didn't buzz at first. It didn't have a single problem until about a month ago. It didn't sound amazing or anything, but it was reliable and didn't buzz.

Would a noise gate be able get rid of it?

I should specify what i meant by cabinet. I guess a better term would be housing. Take all the preamp stuff out of the amp, and build a new case out of some high-quality wood. That would probably improve the sound.
Muddy Waters Tele - Signed by the members of Canned Heat
PRS Soapbar SE - Signed by Michael Angelo Batio
H&K Statesman Quad EL-84
Dunlop Wah (modded to JH specs)
The noise is there all the time. It buzzes constantly. Not as much on the clean channel, but still some. Playing with the volume over two and mid-high gain is horrible.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
It's more of a buzzing. There is always a bit of hum, but the past month or so it has been buzzing like this.

Also, I've only had the thing for 3 months. Do MG's really start to go downhill and crap out that fast??!?!
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Ive heard that the buzz is from poor construction and that styrofoam packed into the back will stopd the vibrations...I havent tried it myself as I am selling mine (and will be glad to see it go).
yes MG's die that quick, which is why we tell noobs not to get them....
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
I got my MG30DFX for my birthday two years ago... It died earlier this year... No actually last November... Then I had to move back to my first amp... The frontman...
Oh, I know what you mean by the bee's nest. In fact we talked about in AIM But anyways, I have the MG250DFX and I don't have any bee's nest or humming. I used to, but I don't anymore. I was considering getting rid of it for a while because of the humming. The only noise coming out of that amp these days is a guitar.

So i'm sorry.

Edit:

I forgot to add that I've had this for a year.
Quote by fredthecat
Oh, you caught me, I'm just a pseudo-intellectual 7th grader.
Xenn99 I had admire your perseverance in trying to improve your MGs sound, but seriously, do you not have the money to upgrade and get a better amp? It will make the world of difference to your sound and playing.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
I can appreciate you trying to get the most out of your amp, but really, it's not worth while sinking money into that amp.

Never turn volume controls on an MG past 5. Personally, I would suggest keeping the master volume at 4 or lower, and using the preamp channel volume controls to get your volume. The power amps on MGs are truly horrible, and they don't handle power well. You'll get much better results that way than by diming out the power section and causing it to clip as soon as yo get any useable volume. It will also get you a more powerful tone at lower volumes.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
I did it. I fixed the "unfixable" MG. I did three things - One, I tightened the screws on the back cover. Most needed tightened by about 1/2 turn. Two, I took it off the stand I had it on and put it on the floor. And finally, I turned off the computer next to it just for an extra precaution. I turned it up to the volume I had trouble with, not buzz at all. Amazing that something as small as one of those three things was causing the buzz.

So, now I have my practice amp back up and running how I want it. I may still keep looking for a new amp, but I think I'm just going to wait a while and save for a really, really nice full tube combo. In the meantime, I'll get my pedalboard going and get the guitar I've been wanting (A nice Agile LP). Then, upgrade the amp and I've got a great setup by the middle of next year.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Wierd.....
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Yes I was going to suggest something like that. Everyone is so busy flaming mgs that they missed the all of the simple problems that create noise. I havent tried an mg so i would just suggest checking the normal reasons for buzz. Sometimes bad wiring in your house can make noise, or like you said the computer (in particular the monitor i think) can supposedly create humm, flourescent lights as well. Perhaps when the humming started you were plugged in at a different room in your house than usual? Anyways glad you fixed it if you have trouble again check those things i mentioned its not necessarily the amp at all.
DAMMIT!!!

The buzz is back with a vengence, and it brought along some crackling.

It was working PERFECTLY for a while, but a few minutes ago I went ot turn it on (with the PC monitor off) and the buzz was back, just worse with more and more crackling - starting with a few small, barely audible "pops," growing into an off and on crackle.

I looked for anything loose, turned off anything that could be affecting it, and checked it entirely for anything loose. Nothing changed the sound or removed the buzzing and crackling.

I guess I'll have to take it in to the shop I got it from in the next few days. Any suggestions for a good replacement amp if the MG is on it's last leg? My price range would be at the max $400, and I don't like Vox Valvetronix amps.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
...I would actually get about $50 back if I bought that instead.

And my local shop actually carries Pignose amps. They don't have that one in particular, but they do carry them. I'll look into it a bit more.

Super-Analytical, do you have a link to some sound clips of that amp? I can't seem to find any.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Last edited by Xenn99 at Aug 15, 2006,
That forum seems to be down...I can't get anything to go through on it. And the official site just comes up with a blank page that says "catch you later."

My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Try it out in the shop would be the obvious answer I would think.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700