Hey guys, I was at my local guitar shop today, and I played a MIM strat and really liked it. Over the next year or so, I plan to buy a Stratocaster (either MIA or MIM), and replace the pickups with some EMG DG-20's to get that David Gilmour sound. I also plan to buy a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe tube, to further accentuate the awesome cleans this guitar will throw at me.

So my question to you is, is it worth spending the extra 550 to get the MIA, just to replace the pickups anyway? Is the MIM much worse? I played it today and it sounded great.

Any comments would be appreciated, thanks.
In a word. Yes. My 2nd guitar was a MIM strat and while it served me well, I was wow'd when I played it side by side with a MIA a few years later when I was a little bit wiser. The biggest difference between the two, other than tone, is playability and craftmanship. The american just feels more solid and I felt that it played much smoother. Try them both out at the same time to make your decision. And if you get the MIA, reconsider changing pickups. You can get that "David Gilmour" sound with the right guitar and the right amp without making any alterations on an already fantastic instrument. Personally I would never want to switch out the strats pickups for fear of losing that authentic "Fender" tone.
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
What about MIJ? I heard they are MIA quality with MIM price.
Quote by Flynt
What about MIJ? I heard they are MIA quality with MIM price.

I have heard that too, but never have been able to play one myself. Try it out, definately!
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
Where do you find MIJ strats anyway.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by snipelfritz
Where do you find MIJ strats anyway.

I was wondering that. I'm not sure if the shop out here had them.

Anyone elses opinion?
yep MIJ/CIJ strats are ****ing sex too bad they aint really availble to pick up at a store unless you go online i dont think i can help you out with finding a MIJ strat
You might want to try a deluxe or players strat in the mexican series. These havea better craftmanship and are a middle ground for MIA and MIM standards most of the time. I'm sure Jenny will be in her to recommend it soon too.

Just make sure you try it before you buy it, and you can find a high quality MIM
I listen to music and I don't need your opinions about what I listen to.
I guess I'll go back to the guitar shop and test out a MIM and MIA one after the other. If I notice a 500 difference, then I guess it's worth it.