I've been playing guitar for about two years now. I'm completely self-taught and I believe I've done a pretty good job teaching myself up to now. I recently started a thrash metal band and everything is going great - but I want to start introducing guitar solos to my songs.

Scales aren't too big a problem for me. I can figure them out by ear, but it's the different styles of picking that I don't understand. I listen to music with some pretty technical guitar work (Alexi Laiho [Children of Bodom], Dimebag Darrell, [Pantera]) and I want to start doing it.

The styles of guitar play I wish to learn are Sweep Picking, and I want to improve my legato. After watching guitarists like Theodore Ziras, I believe sweeping is one of the most productive and intense things you can do on the guitar. I have looked up the basics of it, but I don't understand how the sweeping motion can be pulled off while hitting scales (if this is even how it's done. Enlighten me, please).

I wouldn't really say legato is a form of playing, but I'd be interested in techniques to help me improve it to the level where I can play the solo of [Pantera - Domination].

Thanks in advance for all the help. I've been reading a few of the posts and you all seem to be a knowledgable bunch.

EDIT :

Also, when Alexi plays solos, he moves his picking hand to tap the strings and it is really resonant. I don't know how he does it, but when I try it - the sound is really dull, as if the pickups aren't even getting it at all. Am I doing something wrong?
I don't understand how the sweeping motion can be pulled off while hitting scales (if this is even how it's done. Enlighten me, please).

Sweep picking is rarely used for scales, it's almost alway used to play arpeggiated chords (arpeggiated = the chord played one note at a time). Here is an example:
E minor
e|------------7-12-7------------|
B|----------8--------8----------|
G|--------9------------9--------|
D|------9----------------9------|
A|-7-10--------------------10-7-|
E|------------------------------|

As you can see, you do not play all of the notes in the scale, just the notes of that particular chord (in this case, E, B and G). Instead of being played all at once like when the chord is strummed, the notes are played seperately, which sounds far better with distortion.
Also, when Alexi plays solos, he moves his picking hand to tap the strings and it is really resonant. I don't know how he does it, but when I try it - the sound is really dull, as if the pickups aren't even getting it at all. Am I doing something wrong?

Fingertapping is when you use a finger from your picking hand to hammer/ pull off a note on the fretboard. The purpose of this is that you can create wider intervals on one string then by just using one hand.
e|--------------------------------------|
B|--------------------------------------|
G|--------------------------------------|
D|-t12-p7-h9-t12------------------------|
A|--------------------------------------|
E|--------------------------------------|

So this example is played entirely on one string, without picking the string at all. the notes on the 12th fret are played by hammering hard behind the fret with a finger from your picking hand.
Thanks, but there are still a few things I don't understand.

For one, the fingertapping. I've been using this technique for a long time, and I'm pretty good at it, I'd say. The thing that gets me is the Children of Bodom solos when he does it, it is the same volume as every other note he plays, if not louder. When I do it, the sound is really dull as if my finger isn't allowing the string to vibrate. Is it that I'm not tapping hard enough, or that my skin isn't hardened enough on my picking hand to do this properly? I imagine that with practice comes perfect in this, but I'd like to make sure I'm practicing it properly.

Sweep picking is still sort of iffy to me. Is it like playing barre chords one note at a time, quickly up and down? When I see videos like Theodore Ziras, it looks like he is just rapidly swinging his fret hand across the fretboard and getting every single note. Is this just a question of accuracy?

Sorry if this doesn't make sense. Kind of hard to learn techniques like this over the internet.
no replies to this thread in a while. Hope you have got it down. but if not, start slow. Theodore Ziras has YEARS of practice. If you read up on him he spends 2 hours a DAY just sweep picking.

make sure you dont "pick" the note, you just use a fluid motion down and then up. once you hit the note take your finger off the note and go to the next one. There are A LOT of lessons online, just search and you will figure it out.
Mesa Triple Rectifier front end slammed with Maxon OD808
ESP KH2 guitar

rack gear blah blah blah, my sound is amazing

PREY FOR THE HUNTERS
Man, you should have thought of Improving since day one but anyway just practice ALOT .
I mean like wake up at 8 o clock and play guitar tills you go to bed, ofcourse with reasonable pauses.