hey i feel like a **** guitarist at the moment, i been feelin like this for a couple of weeks, i just dont feel that i can play anything anymore, i've been playing for 2 years, but i just feel so crap lately, i guess its from listening to alot of iron maiden, old metallica, old megadeth, lots of old stuff, some bodom and some new stuff (mainly metal) and i can usually play all the riffs but i just dont got the speed for the solos so i dont even bother learning those sort of songs any more cause i cant play the solos to speed.

Anyone got any suggestions or some easier songs with good riffs and easier solos? cause i'm feeling really **** n jamming at school with grinspoon and silverchair like stuff just isnt doing it for me....

hmm ****

(btw i aint emo lol)
ESP CUSTOM SHOP HORIZON
FENDER USA STRAT
JACKSON DK2M
Peavey 5150ii w/ Marshall 1960DM cab
but i just dont got the speed for the solos so i dont even bother learning those sort of songs any more

There is your problem.

Suck it up, and put more time in your practicing to develop the coordination required to play those solos.
How about trying Guitar speed trainer.. you can download it off limewire or kazaa (or whichever P2P program you use)

If you stick to it, it really helps you play faster. That was the only thing that worked for me.

Also what strings, picks and guitar do you use? There might be something that's slowing you down.
have a schedule! i used to be just like you and get really pissed. if you have a schedule of what you should do every day, and you write down the songs you learn (and u learn the entire song) than you feel more accomplished. A lot of the time i don't stick to the schedule if i'm in a good mood and just wanna play some gtar but if i feel like **** i just do the schedule bit by bit, like 30 minutes of scales, learn new chords, and just general theory stuff as well as learning riffs.
Marty
i've got 11-52 strings, i use dunlop 88's and some heavy ibanez ones and then a few random picks i scabbed over the school year.

I use guitar pro 5, i learnt the hole song 'the call of ktulu' and the solo but i just couldnt get the solo speed above 55% and keep it clean...

oh if anyone reading this knows the most accurate version of the solos for master of puppets for guitar pro or power tab can ya let me know which one, cause i guess i could learn that if i set myself to it.
ESP CUSTOM SHOP HORIZON
FENDER USA STRAT
JACKSON DK2M
Peavey 5150ii w/ Marshall 1960DM cab
Last edited by rockstar_jones at Aug 15, 2006,
try moving moving down to 9's or 10's with the strings.. i have 11's on my old drop B guitar... and they're a pain if you wanna play fast.

I find 10's the best.. and use heavy picks.
Do you think other guitarists just have this speed to pull off solo's out of the blue? You need to buckle down and woodshed, and get some perseverance!
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
If you try to force yourself to play fast or get stressed out about the fact that your not as good as you wished you had been, then your not gonna be able to do something about it. Just relax and accept the fact that your gutiar skills have gotten a bit rusty, and start practising again slowly.
Practice and get a bass, drop guitar for a week or so and toy around with the bass. When you start guitar again you'll be able to play faster, more accuretly, and you can use heavier strings.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Quote by zekk
Practice and get a bass, drop guitar for a week or so and toy around with the bass. When you start guitar again you'll be able to play faster, more accuretly, and you can use heavier strings.

Thats a little extreme.

JACKSON

AND YNGWIE UNLEASHES THE FOCKING FURY ON YOU FOR SPELLING HIS NAME WRONG!!!!!!
Basically what you're finding out about guitar is this: it's fairly easy to make
progress at first using any willy-nilly technique and practice method you
happen to use. A crappy method -- like just learning a bunch of tabs without
a lot of focused thought about how you are controlling your fingers -- will only
get you so far. Which really isn't very far at all.

The nature of guitar is also you get bored with the things you know so that you
always need to be learning new things to keep it fun. It's very likely that the
technique you've developed (or lack of technique and bad habits) is insufficient
to take you much further or get to the next level. So, you might want to take
a look at that and ask yourslef what it is you want to get out of guitar.
Quote by Jackson523
Thats a little extreme.

But it works. Im actually uncomfertable with the thin strings that are on my guitar now.

Don't listen to anyone's suggestions of changing strings or playing bass (!?), just DRILL. The best way to improve speed? Get a metronome and play 0,1,2,3,4 on the low e string, one note per finger, and then do it on the next string and once done, play the scale ascending (4,3,2,1,0 starting on high-e string) Focus on playing it perfectly to the metronomes beat with no flubs at all and slowly speed up the metronome. You can double your speed in a week or two if you keep at it
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
You can also become a much mroe accurate and faster player on any size strings by playing bass for a while. Changing string size will also help you, smaller = faster. The metronome is also a must, but the other susgesitions in this thred also work.

I agree with the metronome thing it works.

JACKSON

AND YNGWIE UNLEASHES THE FOCKING FURY ON YOU FOR SPELLING HIS NAME WRONG!!!!!!