im going to get a bass soon but i need to know what the difference between a jazz bass a regular.

please help

thanks- ben
myspace.com/thecarlandbenextravaganza1

my band ^
Jazz bass
P-Bass
H-Bass

it's all to do where the pickups are situated really.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Quote by XnaKedblinkFrek
Tere all rong A jazz bass loses tone when u go down the thert

Spell check please k thx.

Pickup location is what makes the difference.
ok so now which one (jazz or normal) in which brand eg. fender ibanez etc. is better
myspace.com/thecarlandbenextravaganza1

my band ^
Ugh...>_<

Um there isn't a "normal" bass, a Jbass isn't just for jazz (in fact it was called a jazz bass in order to appeal to double bass players).

A jazz bass will have two single coil pickups, one in the middle, one near the bridge.

A precision style bass (what Im assuming you think is a "normal" bass) has a split-coil (single coil wired to sound like a humbucker) pickup in the middle.

Then there is the stingray style bass which has a soapbar pickup near the bridge which is two single coil pups wired together in humbucking mode, and can also be adjusted individually; this is what an active bass pickup usually is.

Then there are passive humbuckers for basses which (to me at least) sound like beefier single coil pups, these are usually found on Ibanez, Schecter, and Gibbos and the like.

Also it doesn't hurt to do some research by yourself, christ its not that hard to find.
Once you get to the top, the only way to go is down.
Last edited by Killibinizik at Aug 22, 2006,