Hi,

First off thanks to all the guys who gave me advice in the last thread i posted it really helped me out.

Second, a guy is selling a VTX locally and i shoukd be able to pick it up for £50-£75. Its a 'vintage' model as it is from 1986 and the tubes are in good condition (he says). It's a hybrid with a solid state pre amp and a Tube output stage (four 6L6GCs).

How does this sound? good deal?

Spanks

Ash
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
Well, ss preamp thru tube power should sound a lot better than today's hybrid which are the other way around. The real tube tone comes from the power section more than the preamp.

For that price, it's more than worth it. And you can pick yourself up an nice tube preamp that you can jack directly into the VTX's power amp (like all higher end models of the day, it should have a power amp input) and have an all-tube rig.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
^+1
sounds like a really good deal, even if you use it just for an all tube 6L6 poweramp.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
sounds nice
My Gear :
LTD Fx400
Ibanez S470dxqm w/Tone Zone
Buz Mcgrath's S7320 w/ emg 707s
Boss Gt-8
EHX Metal Muff with top boost for sale!
Crate V32 palomino for sale !
Sounds great!

I'll just suggest this: IF you don't love the tone, and it has an FX loop, you culd buy an all-tube preamp, like a Mesa Triaxis or something, and plug your guitar--->preamp--->FX Loop Return for an all-tube signal path.
I used to own one of these back in '84. Good amp for southern rock/ZZ top kind of sound. Practically bullet proof on the road. It has an interesting feature---you can pull the knob out on the "sweep" of the built in phaser and lock it anywhere in the cycle. I makes for some interesting tones. Decent amp but definately sounds solid state. Not bad sounding, but solid state.
Quote by Danno13
Sounds great!

I'll just suggest this: IF you don't love the tone, and it has an FX loop, you culd buy an all-tube preamp, like a Mesa Triaxis or something, and plug your guitar--->preamp--->FX Loop Return for an all-tube signal path.

I'm pretty sure there's a dedicated power amp input. All the old higher end Peaveys had them, and some of todays models still have that as well. But yeah, same result.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor