Anyone have any idea what wah pedal Frusciante uses on this song? Better yet, anyone have an idea on every little thing he uses? This is by far the sexiest wah sound I've ever heard, the best Frusciante solo, and it practically makes me cry it's so beautiful. If I could know what he uses to get the tone he gets, I could perhaps die happily. Any input greatly appreciated.
WikiPedia said:
* Jim Dunlop Crybaby Wah-Wah
* Ibanez WH-10 Wah-Wah (John's preferred Wah today. John has several of these pedals, as they are long discontinued, and due to being made of plastic, break easily.)
* ZVex Wah-Probe
i remember reading in total guitar that he uses an A-something Modular Synth, but i've lost the magazine, and then some Ibanez pedal (i think?) When I find it i'll tell you, unless someone tells you first.
if everything had a point you'd have to be really careful of pointy things
Awesome. So, would you bet it to be a Cry baby? I just know that I can't imagine my 535Q getting that tone. Atleast, not through my solid state.. haha. Thanks.
It's the Ibanez wah probably, but those are discontinued and rare.

I gotta admit though, Frusciante has one of the greatest wah tones, mostly because it's unique AND sounds good.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
its either his ibanez WH-10, a zvex wah probe or strangely a dimbag crybaby from hell. In an interview he did with total guitar he said that he used the dimebag wah on some tracks off the album. Btw his synth unit is a doepfer i think....
the thing with john is he used two wahs in the studio, he used the dimebag wah an the ibanez that he is famous for using, to tell what wah he uses listen carefully if u can hear a distinctive "WAH" then its dimebag but if u can hear the effect but with not much wah then its ibanez
dunlop says frusciate uses the 535Q...
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by Kutanmoogle
It's the Ibanez wah probably, but those are discontinued and rare.

I gotta admit though, Frusciante has one of the greatest wah tones, mostly because it's unique AND sounds good.

I think it sound nasal and annoying.
#12 of the "Ibanez SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4life SZ! to join!
Quote by love_O_rock
I think it sound nasal and annoying.

Like Froo, I guess I just love mids.

I'm not usually a fan of a wah tone if it isn't midsy.
Yeah it's the discontinued Ibanez. Apparently Omar Rodriguez from the Mars Volta is buying as many as he can, for some reason, so maybe if you ask him nicely he might give you one? Bit of a long shot I guess...
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
^ How are you so sure it's the Ibanez? I like the thought of it being the Dimebag wah, because I can get one of those easily, provided I have the cash. Whatever the case may be, I'm listening to the song right now, AMAZING tone...
It's the Ibanez wah because Dimebag wahs just don't sound like that when you're playing an overdriven strat.
Quote by Kutanmoogle
It's the Ibanez wah because Dimebag wahs just don't sound like that when you're playing an overdriven strat.

Thank you kindly!
It's an Ibanez WH-10, a rare and expensive wah.
I feckin' love that sound though.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
I think it's the ibanez. I have an ibanez wf-10 which is the same as the wh-10 but is a fuzz pedal as well, so you can have clean wah, or dirty fuzz wah. I put the fuzz all the way down, give it a little delay/reverb, and I get pretty darn close to the "she's only 18" solo. By the way, ibanez wh-10/wf-10s are difficult to come by, but after playing one, I would never buy another wah pedal. The tone is amazing. If it broke, I would replace it immediately.
I would put my money on the ibanez although he does use crybabys on occasion.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.