Ok so - I have a black strat-like body lying around which I'm not using (well it's part of a guitar I'm not using ^^) and well am wondering, what if I want it white? Arctic white and Alpine white are beautiful but somewhere near that is fine as well ^^.

Say, is that even possible? And if so how should I do it? Like, what do I need, and what do I need to do?

Asides of that, I want to paint my headstock white as well. What's the best way to go at that? ^^

And then I'm also thinking about making my neck a black one. Hm. Basically I want the guitar to look like the one in the attachement (I already have the black pickguard, the white pickups (obviously) and the black knobs. ^^)

So any help'd be appreciated.
Attachments:
beautifulfenderstrat.jpg
Last edited by bornfidelity at Aug 15, 2006,
its almost inconsequential that youre going black to white, but if youre inexperienced i would seek help elsewhere...you need to sand off all the paint and then repaint, sand down, paint again...the headstock you need to take the tuning machines out and do the same.

again id get a pro to help u
I've painted bedroom walls. Look wonderful ^^

But well if I want to do it myself, I just keep sanding untill all the black is gone? You can just do that with the shiny black? Cool ^^.
When the black is gone, what should I put on?

For the headstock, it's just wood-color now, I don't think it's painted. It's a regular Squier headstock lol. (why does it seem that the vast majority of guitar costumizing is done with a Squier? ^^)
you get the jist of it, basically sand off the finish, spray on primer, then the white, then laquer, wait and buff it out.

theres tutorials for finishing a guitar on www.projectguitar.com which should help out alot...

for the headstock, its pretty much the same process, i would still sand it down before spraying.

remember to lightly sand between coats to get a nice smooth finish.

and because squiers a cheap, accesible guitars. and a lot of people have them as their first guitar.
Quote by tirius
you get the jist of it, basically sand off the finish, spray on primer, then the white, then laquer, wait and buff it out.

theres tutorials for finishing a guitar on www.projectguitar.com which should help out alot...

for the headstock, its pretty much the same process, i would still sand it down before spraying.

remember to lightly sand between coats to get a nice smooth finish.

and because squiers a cheap, accesible guitars. and a lot of people have them as their first guitar.

Ok thanks, I'll be checking the site out. Maybe I'll find tips for painting the fretboard as well?

and LOL I knew that about the Squiers. They're almost like real strats
*sigh*

Scuff Sand with 60 or 220 grit (which ever is more available, I like the quickness of 60 grit though) and just get something for the new paint to adhere to. You don't have to strip the entire body as long as you put enough white coats so it's not tainted by the greyish undercoat. Headstock just do the same. I would also suggest only doing the front. That would require just taping off the edges of the headstock and fretboard and ****. If your tuners have ferrules, lay a piece of tape around them, stick them on, then cut around the ferrules with a Swiss Army knife. It'll cover up those ferrules so you don't get non-adehesive paint on them.

MAKE SURE, though, to get the entire body. Keep count of coats, and sand as necessary with a really fine grade sandpaper, 300 should do well. Keep on adding coats when the entire body is dry and make sure they're as even as possible.

EDIT: About the fretboard, I suggest you don't paint it unless it's currently maple. If it's rosewood then you can just ebonize it, which requires a special solution that you can find on places like reranch.com.
Last edited by SuperAnalytical at Aug 15, 2006,
^ yay! you saved me a hell of a lot of typing

but i think that quite a few hardware stores also stock ebonizing solution
Ok, I know how to strip the body now and how to paint the headstock. Thanks for all the help (the neck is rosewood, ebonizing it will make it really black? yay).

I just need to know what to put on the body, what kind of paints and finished. I can't use the same paint that I used for my walls I'm guessing ^^
go and buy some duplicolor spray paint, normally any automotive spray paints will work, but check with someone first.
Ok, so, I get a regular paintspray (white) and I spray it onto the stripped body and let dry until it looks real solid.
And then when the white paint looks ok, how do I get the 'shiny' finish? ^^

For the headstock I can use a regular paintspray as well?

If so I'll do my headstock tomorrow and start stripping my body tomorrow as well.
Oh - do I have to take the neck off of the body? If so, I just unscrew the four screws on the back of the body where it overlaps the neck? Thanks.
Quote by bornfidelity
Ok, so, I get a regular paintspray (white) and I spray it onto the stripped body and let dry until it looks real solid.
And then when the white paint looks ok, how do I get the 'shiny' finish? ^^

For the headstock I can use a regular paintspray as well?

If so I'll do my headstock tomorrow and start stripping my body tomorrow as well.
Oh - do I have to take the neck off of the body? If so, I just unscrew the four screws on the back of the body where it overlaps the neck? Thanks.

Please, people? I'd really like to get started tomorrow ^^
you dont have to remove the neck from the body to spray the headstock, but it would make doing the body easier if you did.

and the "shiny" finish is achieved by laquer, nitro-cellulose is a favourite for guitars, but automotive laquer will do fine too.