doesnt billy corgan yell into the pickups at the end of "Pissant"?
(great song by the way)
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
there are tons of threads..
um well they pick up the guitar strings why not pick up someone yelling??? i dunno how it works
I've tried it, and I can never get it to work, it makes sense that it wouldnt work because pickups are magnetic...now tell me the last time the sounds waves from your voice were metallic in nature or opposite polarity from the pickups...but if it works how is it possible...!!!! I DONT KNOW!!! but it would be cool to figure out.
Quote by SilentDeftone
Of course it's real, just like everything else you see on TV.

Quote by HorridxHopes
By far the most mathematical post ever on UG.

I am quite the mathmatician...not..

Me playing guitar...or is it?!?!?!
Quote by gtr-dude'n'a1/2
I've tried it, and I can never get it to work, it makes sense that it wouldnt work because pickups are magnetic...now tell me the last time the sounds waves from your voice were metallic in nature or opposite polarity from the pickups...but if it works how is it possible...!!!! I DONT KNOW!!! but it would be cool to figure out.

That's what i'm getting at. Voices aren't magnetic, and all the threads I find about it say it can't be done...
ive never seen posts about this, but the only thing i could think of is yelling into the pickups would cause the strings to vibrate from the sound of your voice, and then get amplified...but i dunno
wylde overdrive, what kinda guitar you got and what pups?
~gtrfrk

founder of the dunlop pick fan club

RIP Roger "Syd" Barrett

"Let the good times roll"
they dont nesessarily have to be magnetic, although they DO give off vibrations
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
That's why. If they're not wax potted, it usually works. Most of the time, when a guitarist does that, he has vintage PAF-style pickups.
Hi, I'm Peter
I would assume it works under the same principle as the String Telephone (two cups connected by a string). Your voice vibrates the strings, the pickups... pick up, the vibration.

Makes some sense...
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Quote by Bazilisck311
I would assume it works under the same principle as the String Telephone (two cups connected by a string).
Makes some sense...

WTF Those work!!!???
Quote by It'sForTheBest
Those cameras are really cool. I'm watching a parking lot right now.

Quote by SynGates7X
alright, you need to tell me how you get the shits to come out
Thats amazing, Im gonna try that one day.
Quote by It'sForTheBest
Those cameras are really cool. I'm watching a parking lot right now.

Quote by SynGates7X
alright, you need to tell me how you get the shits to come out
Really, the only way this could possibly work is if you've got a busted pickup. This happens usually when the windings in the pickup become loose. They vibrate just like a microphone diaphram would.
if you've got an ipod, or any other hard drive type mps players, hold it next to a pickup, while the amp is on and press some buttons. if the hard drive spins, you hear it through the amp and it sounds really cool!
Quote by Dave_Mc
how do those marshall handles compare tonewise to, say, mesa handles?

Owns a Blackheart Little Giant...
Your breath makes the strings move, which makes the pickups pick up the changes in the electromagnetic field, which forwards them to your amp. This generally takes a bunch of gain and high volume and some mighty fine screaming.

Unless your pickups are microphonic... Or you have vocal chords made out of metal.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Try this:

Get a pair of earhones, put some music through it, and put it over your pickups, you should hear it through the amps.