I play Rock, Blues, and Shredder style guitar and im thinking about getting a Carvin Guitar and Amp. What do people think of Carvin is it a good choice for my style.
TotalyHAB
they're ok, most people like them, I had a Carvin sc90 it was eh. I felt the coil taps were quite weak, and the spretzal locking tuners that come on all of the electrics I didn't like becuase they lock the string in and the string is harder to bend. It had great tone and I think it might have just been that model. I saw their classical thinline which looks pretty cool as well as their california carved tops which look awesome.
Gibson LesPaul Standard 1958 Custom Shop
Fender Stratocaster 70s Reissue
Charvel-Jackson Vintage Acoustic
Vox ac30
I saw this one small rock show where a guy had a carvin amp.

Gosh what a show. He shredded and idk. Just an amazing tone.
ch.ILL
Locking tuners have nothing to do with how hard strings are to bend, are you sure it wasn't just because your LP has a 24" length and the SC has a 25"?
If you're looking for a guitar around $1000, take Carvin into serious consideration.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by Danno13
Locking tuners have nothing to do with how hard strings are to bend, are you sure it wasn't just because your LP has a 24" length and the SC has a 25"?

i don't know that must have been it, I just figured that becuase I've never had any experience with sptrezel locking thumb tuners and to an unitelligent nin compoop like me it would be just the right answer
Gibson LesPaul Standard 1958 Custom Shop
Fender Stratocaster 70s Reissue
Charvel-Jackson Vintage Acoustic
Vox ac30
hmm, my only problem in buying a carvin is that i cant play it first, someone help with goods and bads of Carvins
TotalyHAB
Speaking of Carvins, I was almost about to buy one. It was a CTM-6 (California Carved top) and it played beautifully. If only I hadn't spent the money on that '58 Gibson LP I could have bought it. Of all the Carvins i've played i've never been disappointed. They're solid, well playing guitars and look beautiful! The 'only' major issue you may have is shredding on them because of the necks 12" radius. Shredding is better on flatter boards, like a Jackson 16" radius.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
you bought a 58 LP?
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Yeah, 1958 Gibson LP Custom. Sittin' on a goldmine, and it'll only go up as the years pass.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
how much did you pay for it?

and pictures. . .

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Most of the new Carvins have fret radius options, and 16" is one.

Absolutely great guitars. I have a TL60 and it plays and sounds great. Granted, I'm not really a shredder, more blues/classic rock/modern rock, but still a best buy.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
Quote by tubadude
how much did you pay for it?

and pictures. . .

$20 at a garage sale. On the way to try out/buy that Carvin when I noticed the old lady had a guitar case, so I figure what the hell. She asked for 50 but I talked her down.

No pics, my mom broke the camera at the hospital.

Chris
Quote by AlGeeEater
$20 at a garage sale. On the way to try out/buy that Carvin when I noticed the old lady had a guitar case, so I figure what the hell. She asked for 50 but I talked her down.

No pics, my mom broke the camera at the hospital.

Chris

20 bucks for a gibson 1958 lp custom???
My Gear:
Fender Standard Strat w/Tex-mex pups
Epi Les Paul Jr.
Epi MM-20 mandolin
Yamaha FG-110
Boss SD-1
Boss BD-2
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Digitech RP80
Fender FM212R
Epi Valve Junior

Check Me Out:
Me
Yeah, sounds kinda cliche I know (almost like Homers '59 LP thread) but the lady didnt really know what she had. Her husband used to be a musician but he passed away a few months ago from what I gathered to talking to her. She was too high to even realize it also.

It's not worth too much compared to the '58 Standards, but it's still worth a good $35,000 or so. I might sell it soon though.

Chris
i have 2 carvin guitars, the dc135 and the california top (ctm6 i believe) and they are both incredible, i actually have yet to have a complaint about either guitar. i would say they are some of the highest quality instruments i have ever played. never used the amps though, but if vai likes 'em they can't be too shabby
Carvin amps are great, especially for the money. The MTS, Legacy, and V3 are all solid. The MTS is more voiced for modern metal, the Legacy a bit smoother, much like comparing the Peavey XXX and JSX.

If you like the older amp styles the Nomad is a very solid pick, a lot like a Fender Twin.

Another amp in the $1k range to consider is the new Fender Supersonic. I've been reading up on it, heard some interesting sound clips and have heard good reviews.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
He said they aren't shredly because of their 12" STANDARD radius, but you can get it with a 14 " radius too
Esp Ltd EC-400
Wylde Overdrive
Dano Eq
Fab Chorus
Boss Ns-7
Boss Me-50
Jcm 800 (to be replaced soon)

BIG
Quote by TotalyHAB
so carvins arnt good for shredding?

listen to steve vai's band. the other 2 guitarists shred along with vai on 7 string carvins

Quote by steven seagull