Hi all!

Recently took up the guitar, purchased a Coxx SD Standard (copy of a Gibson SG). I have had 1 lesson and love it I have been practicing my "homework" every-other-day. A bit frustrated at my lack of knowledge, but that just forces me to practice harder...

Onto my question (please pardon me if I massacre the terminology below) :

I have noticed though that on some chords (namely "ti") that my wrist near where the thumb connects on the left (fretting) hand hurts slightly and can sometimes "pop" (gas moving around) when I move it back and forth. It's not really painful, but feels strange..

Is this normal for a beginner?

I do use a computer a lot (part of my job)..

I have tried the "classical" hold as well as the "baseball" hold, no difference..

Thanks!
Awfers
i seriously reckon of all the things you do you should stick to learning in the classical position for now.
Fender American Deluxe Ash Stratocaster (2000)
Fender Classic Player 60's Stratocaster
Marshall JCM900 100w head & 4x12 cab

Korg DT-10 Tuner; Boss DD-3 Digital Delay; Jim Dunlop JH-1B Wah; Boss RT-20 Rotary Ensemble; MXR EVH Phase 90.
Quote by AwfulQuiet
Hi all!

Is this normal for a beginner?

I do use a computer a lot (part of my job)..

I have tried the "classical" hold as well as the "baseball" hold, no difference..

Well, one thing that's "normal" for a beginner is a tendency to use WAY more force
to fret than you actually need. Additionally there will be a lot of excess tension
because your muscles are unaccustomed to making efficient movements.

So, concentrate on relaxing as much as possible and the dead weight of your relaxed
arm can do most of the fretting work for you.

classical or baseball grip both have thier place. pain should never be a normal
outcome of playing.
Quote by edg
classical or baseball grip both have thier place.

Yup, classical will give you more reach while "baseball" will give you more control over string bends/vibrato. One isn't neccessarily more comfortable than the other.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Thanks for the help guys.

I probably AM using too much force..

Granted, I'm not in constant pain after 15 minutes of playing scales. It's not really "pain".. hard to describe.. Guess I need to break myself into the guitar.. (kind of like riding a road bike with a hard saddle?)

Am wondering how long a break I should give it?
Coxx SD Standard
Last edited by AwfulQuiet at Aug 15, 2006,
if you get any pain stop practicing and wait until the pain goes away thats always been my motto and I'm still around
Gibson LesPaul Standard 1958 Custom Shop
Fender Stratocaster 70s Reissue
Charvel-Jackson Vintage Acoustic
Vox ac30
sounds like good advice.. will hold off until Friday.. (damn...)
Coxx SD Standard
I want to practice so bad tonight.. I don't know if I can wait until Friday

Guitar is about the only good thing in my life right now...
Coxx SD Standard
if the problem involves chords, then don't play them until your wrist starts to feel better - You could runs some scales, practice tapping, sweeping, hammer-ons/Pull-offs, harmonics, etc.
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Quote by Bazilisck311
if the problem involves chords, then don't play them until your wrist starts to feel better - You could runs some scales, practice tapping, sweeping, hammer-ons/Pull-offs, harmonics, etc.

Thanks... I'm now lost

I've only ever had one lesson and am practicing chords as per instruction from my teacher.. soooo.... I guess I have some research to do
Coxx SD Standard
Quote by AwfulQuiet
Thanks... I'm now lost

I've only ever had one lesson and am practicing chords as per instruction from my teacher.. soooo.... I guess I have some research to do

Did you explain the problem to your tearcher and what advice did he offer?
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
I haven't seen or spoken to my teacher yet, and won't do until the Saturday after next (he's on holiday)

I asked a friend at work who has played guitar for a long time, he says it's normal to get strange pains and that, like you mentioned, I might want to do scales etc before trying to tackle chords in order to strengthen the muscles..

So I'll be following your advice tonight :-) Thanks for following up!

Cheers,
Awfers
Coxx SD Standard
Scales are easier than chords to learn because you can concentrate on one finger at a time whereas learning chords at the start is annoying because you have to coordinate all your fingers.

IMHO i think that as a beginner, any beginner, should focus their first week or 2 on scales so they can build up finger coordination and strength and then move on to chords, it's what i did and i'm not doing to badly after 9 months of guitar.
Marty
Go see a freakin doctor if your having pain in your wrist and dont ask a bunch of 16 year olds on the internet.
Quote by demea
Go see a freakin doctor if your having pain in your wrist and dont ask a bunch of 16 year olds on the internet.

I think however in your first week of playing it's normal to have pain in your wrist or anywhere in your hand muscles per say.

that's like saying that if your muscles hurt after your first week at the gym go see a doctor, and don't ask anybody else at the gym who's been gyming for the past 5 years as they're all blockheads.
Marty
Quote by suicidalmoose
I think however in your first week of playing it's normal to have pain in your wrist or anywhere in your hand muscles per say.

that's like saying that if your muscles hurt after your first week at the gym go see a doctor, and don't ask anybody else at the gym who's been gyming for the past 5 years as they're all blockheads.

I guess???
Quote by demea

I'm about 6 years too old to be 16

Quote by AwfulQuiet
I haven't seen or spoken to my teacher yet, and won't do until the Saturday after next (he's on holiday)

I asked a friend at work who has played guitar for a long time, he says it's normal to get strange pains and that, like you mentioned, I might want to do scales etc before trying to tackle chords in order to strengthen the muscles..

So I'll be following your advice tonight :-) Thanks for following up!

Cheers,
Awfers

No problem bud

Practicing hammer-ons and pull-offs will strengthen your muscles as well. Practice your alternate picking with scales, then hammer on foward through a scale and pull-off back through a scale. Like mentioned before, go slow and relax your muscles!
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Last edited by Bazilisck311 at Aug 17, 2006,
i had the same problem the first 2 years i played. i think your hands just get used to it and conidtioned to do the job without pain after a while.

just let up for a few seconds if you start feeling a tension or pain...then get back to work. you'll build strength after a good while.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
thanks again everyone!

Will start with scales straight after dinner tonight :-)

The "Beginner Lessons" on here's don't seem to be that bad either.. Printed out a bunch of info at lunch to read on the train home. Ended up listening to Dire Straits on my iPod after a while as my eyes were shot from staring at a screen all day..

Cheers!
Awfers
Coxx SD Standard
Quote by Danno13
What's a "ti"?

I believe it's chords that contain the "ti" sound.

Do - re - mi - fa - so - la - ti

Otherwise called a VII chord
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Ti: First finger across all the strings at the 2nd fret, 2nd finger on 4th string 4th fret, 3rd finger on 3rd string 4th fret, 4th finger on 2nd string 4th fret..
Coxx SD Standard
Last edited by AwfulQuiet at Aug 18, 2006,
Quote by AwfulQuiet
Ti: First finger across 2nd frets, 2nd finger on 4th string 4th fret, 3rd finger on 3rd string 4th fret, 4th finger on 2nd string 4th fret..

The root note of the chord makes the "ti" tone, so it is called a ti Chord.

It would be named as a roman numeral number of the tone on the tone scale and the number of tones between the root tone and the highest tone (IV7 Chord would be a chord with a root of the "fa" tone, with the highest tone in the chord being "mi" which is 7 tones from "fa")

I'm not familiar enough with the fret board to name that chord - I don't know what the highest tone is
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Quote by Zar Mulix
hmm, now im getting random wrist pains....

all I got was a lousy headache.
Ibanez JEM 7VWH