the general consensus are that MG series suck. But Ive played though this MG250DFX, it is the 2x12 Version of MG Series, and basically I have nothing to compare it to because first marshall amp I've tried. but I like the sound

Some say the MG sound almost as good as the All tube marshalls, fmost say stay away from MGs. But from online retailers such as musiciansfriend, have mores positive reviews than negative.

I'm looking for nice metal/rock sound. I heard Marshalls are the best, and unfortunately Expensive.

I'm looking for nice 2x12. I looked at the all tube AVT series, but the price is scary

I saw this 2x12 MG250DFX which retails for US$ 499 for $250 on sale (used)

Mixed feelings, is this amp utter crap, as some proclaim. or is it not That bad.

Shold I go for it?

(Running Strat with Dimarzio Fast Track 2 (series humucking) in bridge, stock in middle and neck)

Any ideas appreciated
1. The reason they're more positive, is because many of the reviews by the people are from kid's who haven't ever played anythilng else, and don't have that much knowledge.
2. If you like the sound go for it.
3. The Avt isn't all tube.
4. Don't go a 100% by what others say, if it sounded good w/ you, and if the price is right for you, than go for it.
It's all personal preference.

If you liked what you heard, then by all means, go out and buy it.

I have an MG, and I personally don't think it's a bad as it's reputation. Not the greatest amp, but it's decent.

I wouldn't gig with it though. Doesn't sound all too great turned up real loud.
Last edited by kiefermatot at Aug 15, 2006,
Did you play the amp in the guitar shop? because just like the television shops where the lighting is done such that all television look good, guitar shops are "built" such that all amps sound good. Also, did you plug in YOUR guitar and not something similar ? MG series ARE crap and overpriced! But I've never played through the one you are referring to be honest. just the 112's. But $250 sound good deal. Go on their last hour on the last working day of the week and ask for a good deal. most likely you can get it for $200.

cheers !

Grrr:
Peavey 5150 head
Marshall 1936 Lead 2x12 Cab
'06 Jackson SLSMG
Dean Hardtail Select
ISP Decimator
Planet waves tuner
Weber Mini Mass
Ibanez Delay & Chorus

time is like a fuse; short and burning fast -- James Hetfield
dude what matters the most to ur guitar playing is having a sound that u like and that suits u the best...so if u like the sound then by all means get it...dont listen to other people if u like it buy it....
Quote by emperor_black
Did you play the amp in the guitar shop? because just like the television shops where the lighting is done such that all television look good, guitar shops are "built" such that all amps sound good

That sounds a little farfetched...
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Quote by Bazilisck311
That sounds a little farfetched...

no, no, I'm serious! I've watched a program on Discovery science channel. Its a multi-million dollar business changing the color, acoustics, etc. of shops to lure customers. Just my 2 cents... But I agree to what everyone's saying, if you like the sound, buy it!

Grrr:
Peavey 5150 head
'06 Jackson SLSMG
Dean Hardtail Select
ISP Decimator
Planet waves tuner
Weber Mini Mass
Ibanez Delay & Chorus

I went to guitar center to test out the Marshall Amps. they only had MG series of all types set up. I tried out the MG 250

I've tried 10+ guitars, single coils, strats, humbuckers, all types on this amp,

Frankley, i have nothing to compare it to, as I don't own any 'good amps', and at Guitar center they have VOX AD series, Mesa Boogie, etc and other expensive stuff I can't afford.

BTW- How are the AVT Series, slightly beter?, or are Marshalls only good at All Tube Amps

If so, anyone have any recommendations on All Tube 2x12 Marshall or equivalent that sound excellent, I'm tight on space, and was looking for 2x12 Marshall, I saw this MG series for $250 and thought I was set. But Then rememberd how its shunned upon on forums

Whats a beter alterative?

thanks
*moved*

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
If you're just planning on using it for practice and maybe small gigs, it should work fine. Mine's quite useable now that I got rid of the buzzing problem it was having.

The fact is that MG's ARE NOT as bad as their reputation. They're good for practicing and in some cases small gigs. My only issue with my MG was the buzzing I was getting. A few simple tweaks, and now the buzzing is completely gone. Now it works fine for me.

If you like the MG250DFX, go for it. As long as you're not cranking it it won't sound too bad. They're quite useable at lower-mid volumes. As are most solid states. Nearly all solid state amps sound bad at high volumes. That's just an issue solid state amps have. It's not just some exclusive flaw with MG's. It's solid state amps in general. For $250, that's a good deal. If you can talk it down to $200-$225 it's a steal.

Also, don't get an AVT. They're basically the same as MG's with a single tube in the preamp. They sound nearly identical but cost a ton more. They aren't worth it. Just go for the $250 MG250DFX if you're trying to decide between a small AVT and the MG.

My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
I own the MG250DFX. It is NOT utter crap, and it is the best in the series. Having two 50 watt speakers for stereo sound it is alot better than the 100 watt combo, and I also bought it over the 100 watt half stack. I play an epiphone dot through it. It sounds fine. There is plenty of tweaking to do to find YOUR sound, and you probably will end up always tweaking with it. I love my MG and I'm sticking by it until I feel like tube. In my opinion, from the few amps I tried, this is your best bet before tube. Now, I'd also like to point you in the direction of the Peavy Valveking (50 watts, around the same price but its TUBE!). I've heard this live, as my uncle plays through it. He gigs alot, its worth it. If you want to start off tube, go for it. If you want to start solid state, use the MG250DFX!

And most of all, HAVE FUN! Try out those two amps and don't let anyone in here change your mind about them. Its YOUR money, and YOUR choice.

EDIT:

By the way my friend borrowed my MG250DFX for a show- Sounded amazing. It was a small tavern/bar thing and he was playing in a hardcore/metal band, but it was more than adequate for what he was playing.

I bought my amp for 500 so, 250 used is worth it.
Quote by fredthecat
Oh, you caught me, I'm just a pseudo-intellectual 7th grader.
Last edited by defhand at Aug 15, 2006,
^The Peavey is a bit more that $250 though. I think they're $400 for the 50w combo. Still, it's another option though if you want to save a bit longer.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Thanks Xenn, I forgot that the Peavey was a little more expensive. Listen to us two, we know and (kinda) love our MGs. ^^ At least I do.
Quote by fredthecat
I'm liking mine a bit more now that the buzz is gone. It fits my need for a practice amp now, so I'm not hating it anymore.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by Iceman_x2
dude what matters the most to ur guitar playing is having a sound that u like and that suits u the best...so if u like the sound then by all means get it...dont listen to other people if u like it buy it....

Bose only let customers preview the sound in their specially made booth. not so farfetched now
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by defhand
Thanks Xenn, I forgot that the Peavey was a little more expensive. Listen to us two, we know and (kinda) love our MGs. ^^ At least I do.

The valveking is not for Metal ! It just doesn't work. I still have it at home. I am trying to get rid of it, but no one's willing to pay even $250 on eBay. I guess word gets around fast that its not a good amp. But clean and reverb on the VK is awesome. Much better than my XXX but not "fender" awesome though.

I guess you are better off with the Marshall.

Cheers!

Grrr:
Peavey 5150 head
'06 Jackson SLSMG
Dean Hardtail Select
ISP Decimator
Planet waves tuner
Weber Mini Mass
Ibanez Delay & Chorus

TS, what do you play mostly?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by emperor_black
The valveking is not for Metal ! It just doesn't work. I still have it at home. I am trying to get rid of it, but no one's willing to pay even $250 on eBay. I guess word gets around fast that its not a good amp. But clean and reverb on the VK is awesome. Much better than my XXX but not "fender" awesome though.

I guess you are better off with the Marshall.

Cheers!

When did I say the valveking was for metal?
Quote by fredthecat
if it's your first amp, that's a steal, im guessing it's not
but i dont know if i'd get it unless you have money to dish out haha
the avt's aren't good ether, stay away from them
i hate the mg's, but running pedals into them and i had a better sound, the jackhammer pedal gave me a much better sound then the mg's built in distortion.

it's all personal preference, if you like the sound and think you could put 200 dollars of use in the amp then go for it
honestly as a former owner of and mg250dfx 2x12. they are decent amps not worth 500 bucks but if you can get it for 200 and its what you like then go for it. and about them sucking as everyone says. its not that they suck ass its that they dont live up to the marshall name and legacy. so therefor people say they suck.
Quote by defhand
When did I say the valveking was for metal?

the thread starter is looking for an amp to play Metal/rock. And considering the fact that he wants a Marshall = he's more inclined to play metal than classic rock which is what the valveking is mostly for.

Dont get me wrong, the valveking can do a little old school metallica by using an overdrive pedal but if you use a OD pedal, you got to use some sort of good noise suppressor and then you get into tone loss, etc. That's what I was getting at. Plus the VK hums and buzzes like a Bee which are just multiplied triple fold if you use a OD pedal in the front.

Grrr:
Peavey 5150 head
'06 Jackson SLSMG
Dean Hardtail Select
ISP Decimator
Planet waves tuner
Weber Mini Mass
Ibanez Delay & Chorus

One of the issues with mgs is thin sounding. If it's a 2 speaker setup, you wont have that issue. I got the same thing with my Traynor blue, which fixed up perfectly with the extention cab.
Actually, if you set the MG right, with the right EQs and everything, it can sound decent, not great, but decent enough.
^Completely true.

As long as there isn't buzzing, it's decent and good for practice.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
For $200-$250 it's probably ok, least lets you jam and stuff but that's about it. If you do plan to spend a little more there's a whole bunch of other stuff that you can buy. And as mentioned with a pedal would be even better as the distortion on MG's does suck. Personally though I hate my MG, it's only a 15W and was on clearance when I bought my guitar so had to do for a while but now it just collects dust.

I disagree about the AVT's though, my roomie has one and we have quite often played his AVT and my MG together and the AVT is a lot better, specially when distorted.