Hey I just wrote a song (As in intro, verse, pre-chorus and chorus) in C major. I really want to write a sad, depressing solo and I think your supposed to solo in minor in order to get that effect. Is that true, and will it work good in C?
i was just bout to ask a similar question...
Roses are red
Voilets are blue
The only bulge in my pocket is my wallet
No i'm not happy to see you
Am and C scales are the same....
Quote by Metal-X
But last time I cranked my amp up. A small bird flew by at the same time I did a pinch harmonic.... and it exploded....

Too Late
there are relative major and minor so if your writing a sad solo for the key of C major then youll want to solo in A minor.a good example of this type of soloing is in sweet child o mine by guns and roses the song is in G major but the solo goes to E minor cuz thats G majors minor relative. hope this helps
Quote by nopoleon779467
there are relative major and minor so if your writing a sad solo for the key of C major then youll want to solo in A minor.a good example of this type of soloing is in sweet child o mine by guns and roses the song is in G major but the solo goes to E minor cuz thats G majors minor relative. hope this helps

Definetly, dude you rock.
Not completely sure if this always work, but it's a tip anyway:

C major starts on the 8th fret on the E string, and A minor starts three frets lower, on the fifth. So this should be transposable into any key, for example G major on the third/thirteenth fret and E minor on the 0/12th fret.

So in theory, whenever you want a happy song to turn minor without changing keys, go three frets down and play the minor scale.
start on the 6th scale degree of whatever major key ur in
Quote by GuitarHobbiest
What exactly is a powerchord?

Quote by laid_to_waste
My trouser snake is friendly. If you pet him, he might even do a trick! think I'm going to hell for that one.
Quote by Zoso68
start on the 6th scale degree of whatever major key ur in

That always works?
Well, if you think a bout it, a major scale is:
W W H W W W H (W= whole step, H=Half)

And the relative minor key is the 6th of a major scale.