I've always read that you're supposed to learn on an acoustic. Wondering why though less frets? easier to make noises, hand strength? I learned bass first then guitar on a crappy fender copy without a guitar amp.

Adn while I think of it am I the only one that still plays electric often without an amp, mainly because it's more polite to those in the room.
Last edited by thrashbass69 at Aug 15, 2006,
Playing acoustic (in this case, not plugged in) is first of all the only way to make sure that you're practicing completely correctly. Amplification can cover up your mistakes, even on the clean channel. This goes for both acoustic and electric guitars, but an acoustic will be louder, so that's one reason to practice with one.

The second reason to learn on an acoustic is because the strings are thicker and the action (distance from fret to string) is higher, so your fingers will get more of a work-out that way. It will hurt, but after a while, your hands will be much stronger. Then, switching over to an electric is very easy.
Gear:
Fender Stratocaster
Gibson SG w/ Bigsby
Ibanez Roadster Bass
Sovtek MiG 60
Marshall 1965B
Maestro Echoplex EP-3
MXR Ten Band EQ
EHX Russian Big Muff
Ross Phaser
Boss DD-6
I don't think there's really a right way to learn guitar. For example I learned first on an electric (Squier, just like 99% of guitarists), then an acoustic, then bass. I don't believe it matters, just as long as you learn the technique.
Stick with the instrument you want. No point in playing for two monthes, getting bored, and quitting because you can't sound like your favorite musicians.
an acoustic will help you get callouses much faster than an electric, and it will also increase finger strength which is needed for legato and string bending...that's about it, i see them as two separate instruments in that they are both played so differently...if your main instrument is electric, practice on electric - you can achieve all of the benefits of learning on an acoustic by playing correctly on an electric, and your fingers will be accustomed to it rather than having to endure the switch
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
I'm learning on an acoustic, and I'm very glad for it...there's a big difference in how they're played, but the acoustic is generally more challenging...which means that if you start there, you may progress more slowly, but your technique will be better in the long run. I played my first electric not too long ago, and was suprised at how easy I found it after playing acoustic for two months.
"He has a woman's name and wears makeup. How original."
--Alice Cooper, on Marilyn Manson.
Well for myself, i learnt on an acoustic. And i think this benefits you, because its generally more challenging and you are able to also ( as stated above ) get callouses must faster, and gain more finger strength. And then after a few months, when you are sure of the direction you want to go in. Choose your guitar based on that section of guitaring.
Don't Sacrifice a Tree for the whole forest

Quote by jsxxx
just stroke up and down and experiment...find what feels right.
If you learn on acoustic and get reasonably good on it, then jumping up to electric will feel like nothing. It's crazy easy. And I personally just like acoustic more. It's more of a pure tone that you don't have to mess with.
I learned on electric and then got an acoustic. It really sucked because it was kinda like learning to press your fingers down hard agian. I thought it was worth it though. I really wish i would of leanred first on an acoustic. I learned how to play barre chords on electric, so when you go up or down you can just kinda slide your figers down, but when you do that on acoustic it makes a really ****ty sound.
Quote by rush4life
Pretty much all of Fox's buddies were a pain in the ass. Falco was such a dick.

Member #13 of the UG Pink Floyd fan club. PM TimiHendrex33 to join.
Quote by CFlydn9
I learned on electric and then got an acoustic. It really sucked because it was kinda like learning to press your fingers down hard agian. I thought it was worth it though. I really wish i would of leanred first on an acoustic. I learned how to play barre chords on electric, so when you go up or down you can just kinda slide your figers down, but when you do that on acoustic it makes a really ****ty sound.

same for me ! i started on an electric but kinda wish i had played acoustic 1st
Guitars:
Schecter Tempest Extreme
Jackson JS30RR Rhoads?
Ibanez RG321MH

amp:
Lines 6 Spider II 30watt

FX:
Line 6 Pod XT Live