Does anyone have any advice on how to play guitar chords that you don't strum a string on. I.e. I'm learning to play C in which you don't strum the first string, but I almost always accidently hit it. Is this something I just have to practise more at, or is there any tips or tricks or anything?
push it slightly with the tip of your finger so it mutes the string.

so, if you use your ring finger for the 3rd fret of the A string, use the tip of your ring finger to push against the Low E string.

Its all about using your fingers to mute strings.
Been away, am back
Or, if it's comfortable to do so and doesn't affect the rest of the chord, you can hook your thumb over and mute it.

The advantage with this is you can then strum like a maniac and it'll still sound good.
Quote by lmnop
please explain how to steal legally
i'm intersted and willing to learn
So if I use my ring finger to push it a little bit, would I strum all of the strings? And when I'm strumming D should I use my thumb to mute the E and A strings?
if you're muting a string, there's no reason why you can't strum it freely

however, the best way to get past this in my opinion is to train your picking hand to strum only certain strings because all the muting techniques can get pretty hectic when switching chords and such - try to pick at an angle where you can strum the strings you want while getting them all to sound even...it may be hard, but it helps
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Find anyway to mute it with your left hand.
Eventually you'll get better at it. You could always play the 3rd fret E string and play all the strings.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

I've been practising it for about 3 hours and i'm doing pretty good with muting them with my thumb. It's getting fairly easy and I can switch between G and C pretty fact. I'm working on getting G, C and D down before I move onto anything else.
e|----------------------------------------------|
B|---------------------------------------------|
G|9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9--|
D|---------------------------------------------|
A|7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7--|
D|---------------------------------------------|

PLease tell me what these chords are called. I know that they r used to harmonize and stuff. bt what are their names? And how d
o I play these with power chords as harmonizing.
Psychosohan
I see you've opened your own thread, but be more careful next time. Don't piggyback on other people's threads, and certainly don't necropost on a thread that's over a decade old.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.