Hi, ive just started learning solo's, when i pick on one string i have pretty good finger accuracy and coordination, when i pick out the notes, but when i pick on different strings i don't make the change very fluently. This doesn't help when trying to play the bars in the enter sandman solo for example before the half time feel, were you have to pull off one string and pick the other. Does anyone have any tips in which i can better this technique.
Do you anchor your picking hand? The majority of people who anchor will have trouble with cross-string picking.
yes i do, ive just been reading another thread were it was talkin about whether to anchor or not
When you anchor your picking hand, with your wrist on the bridge or your pinky on the guitar you're locking your arm into place - you haven't got a free range of movement. The moment you try and switch a string your whole arm locks with tension - which is probably why as soon you switch strings you come to a halt and get stuck. Correct?

Try unanchoring...
work on all the picking mechanics as well i.e. starting with an upstroke or downstroke, economy picking, etc...figure out exactly what it is that's causing the problem and find ways to fix it

anchoring =
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Is it considered anchoring to rest your fore-arm on the body slighly?
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by Ænimus Prime
Is it considered anchoring to rest your fore-arm on the body slighly?

You mean like this?

http://www.ericjohnson.com/pictures/alctour/01novalcericorange.jpg

Don't worry about resting your forearm on the body because the picking hand movement should come from the wrist; as long as you're not restricting your wrist movement you should be ok.
im goin to play unanchored, it seems to help a bit i just need to learn to control my wrist when unanchored, thanks for input everyone
technically, resting your forearm on the top of the guitar is considered anchoring, but it's not nearly as hindering as anchoring your wrist and/or pinky...i wouldn't worry too much about it, i'm usually resting my arm on the guitar when playing sitting down and just letting it hang standing up...it just feels more natural, but it'll feel different for everyone
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.