Today I decided I'd work a bit on my theory and wrote out the major and minor scales and did the same for the major and minor chords. After that I worked in on suspended 2nd and suspended 4th chords, but when it came time to do 7th chords I became confused.

When playing a 7th chord (I will use C7 as an example), should the 7th become flat, or reamin how it is known in the scale.

C7: x32310

The C7 above is made up of C, E, Bb, C and E.

Would that not then be called Cb7, or somethign to that degree? Also, the G note is missing from this chord and therefore it is missing it's 5th. Is that normal in the creation of 7th chords?

Lastly, what is the difference between a 7th and a maj7th chord? I think that this has somethign to do with my first question, but if you could clear this up, I'd appreciate it greatly.

Thanks for any help on this topic, as it has been confusing me for a while now.
maj7 chords have a normal 7, whilst dominant 7 chords (C7 D7 E7 etc..) contain the flat 7

and its perfectly acceptable to drop a fifth in a voicing of any 7th chord, i wouldnt say it is normal to do so, but i dont think it is out of the ordinary
^Personally, the first tone I drop is the fifth. It doesn't contribute as much towards the colour of the chord.

• Maj7th: 1 - 3 - 5 - 7.
  • Min7th: 1 - b3 - 5 - b7.
  • Dom7th (7th): - 1 - 3 - 5 - b7.
  • Dim7th: 1 - b3 - b5 - bb7.
Well that cleared up quickly. However, why waste making a new thread. I was wondering what makes up suspended chords?
Oh, well because I recieved such quick replies, I suppose I shall try my best to answer this.

A suspended chord drops the 3rd and replaces it with either the 2nd or the 4th. This results in chord names such as Dsus2 and Dsus4. Dsus2 has replaced the 3rd with the second while the Dsus 4 has replaced the 3rd with the fourth.

I personally find it easiest to display this with the D or A chords:

D Major: x x 0 2 3 2 (D, A, D, F#)
D Minor: x x 0 2 3 1 (D, A D, F)
D sus2: x x 0 2 3 0 (D, A D, E)
D sus4: x x 0 2 3 3 (D, A, D, G)
D5 : x x 0 2 3 5 (D, A, D, A)

As you probably know, a fifth is just the root and the fith (to my knowledge).

And thanks to Johnljones7443 for the summary of building chords.