Here is, as all you can see, a scale.
My question is, if i were to practice this one. should i play all the notes?

ex.

A|----------------------2-3-5-7-9-10-12
E|-2-3-5-7-8-10-12

and so on...!
And can you play ALL the notes when you're improvising/soloing?

The reason that i ask, is that there are so few notes in the scales I'm being told about in the lessons on this site. And that confuses me.
the trick is to learn the scale in a box position. like all of the strings within a 4 or 5 fret area.. i'm not sure how to explain it
Quote by MortyKBG
My question is, if i were to practice this one. should i play all the notes?

A|----------------------2-3-5-7-9-10-12
E|-2-3-5-7-8-10-12

You could play them in a linear fashion like that, but most people opt to memorizing vertical finger patterns.

Quote by MortyKBG
And can you play ALL the notes when you're improvising/soloing?

Yes.

Quote by MortyKBG
The reason that i ask, is that there are so few notes in the scales I'm being told about in the lessons on this site. And that confuses me.

I think I get what you're saying... someone tells you there are 7 notes in a particular scale, you look it up and are presented with 50+ notes spanning the whole fretboard and you're like 'LOL! Wtf!?'

The notes on a guitar repeat - when you read a lesson saying 'There are 7 notes in this scale' it means there are 7 different notes contained within that scale, but those 7 different notes repeat themselves throughout the whole fretboard.

I hope that clears it up... bit of a vague explanation :|
like a thats G major if i'm not mistaken. and play a position like this
el-----------------------------------2-3-5
Bl-------------------------------4-5-------
Gl------------------------2-4-5-----------
Dl-----------------2-4-5------------------
Al----------2-3-5-------------------------
El--2-3-5---------------------------------
first, look at the numbers inside like, the notes, each note is numbered one through seven
play the notes in numeric order and that will be a mode, each mode starts on a different number and all the modes are in the same key. This figure is in the key of G. So when you are playing a song in the key of G, you can use any note in this figure and it will sound good. When you practice this, start on number one, on the third fret of the E string, and play through number seven, and then they repeat, keep playin gthrough the numbers until you get to the high E string.
Jackson DK2M White
Mesa Dual Rec(2 channel)
Carvin V212
Quote by Johnljones7443
I think I get what you're saying... someone tells you there are 7 notes in a particular scale, you look it up and are presented with 50+ notes spanning the whole fretboard and you're like 'LOL! Wtf!?|

Haha. Couldn't have said it better.
Thanks, man. I think i see it a little more clear now