i own the mg100 half stack (yes i know bad bad) i dont actually mind it to much i run nice pedals through it so the tone is pretty good but anyway i realize now that you cant really play shows with it unless its through the pa which can work fin ei suppose im planning on buying a 5150 original head with a marshall 1960a cab for shows and jsut useing the mg for a home amp and recording since at mid volume it sounds best. and i cant imagine playing the 5150 at my house i think it be to loud for a practice amp ha so is this a good idea or should i jsut keep running the mg through the pa?
Sell your MG and buy an atteunator. It'll allow you to play a cranked tube amp at low volumes.
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

^^Or an Overdrive.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Dude get over the fact that its a 120watt tube amp. that doesnt mean its not suitable for home use. I have a goddam Triple Recto in my computer/theater room and it sounds fine at low levels. Sell the MG for ice-cream or something idk.
Quote by kurdtkobaign
Dude get over the fact that its a 120watt tube amp. that doesnt mean its not suitable for home use. I have a goddam Triple Recto in my computer/theater room and it sounds fine at low levels. Sell the MG for ice-cream or something idk.

I AM SO QUOTING THAT! XD
I don't get people. Any amp can be played quietly, just turn down that knob that says "VAWL YOOM".
Quote by Danno13
I don't get people. Any amp can be played quietly, just turn down that knob that says "VAWL YOOM".

the theory however is that tube amps sound their best when their power amp section is cranked at the power tubes are running hot.

that said most of the 5150's distortion comes from it's pre amp stage so the power amp saturation would make the tone feel a bit warmer but wouldn't give you any extra distortion.
Marty
^Well, yeah, "best" sound comes from high volumes, but that's not to say they sound "bad" when turned down around one or two.

EDIT unless, of course, it's a Fender amp, in which case it goes from zero to WHAM! in a 10 degree turn...
Quote by Danno13

LMAO!!!!!! Youve done it again Danno. Youve made me shit my pants with laughter.
Quote by Danno13
^Well, yeah, "best" sound comes from high volumes, but that's not to say they sound "bad" when turned down around one or two.

EDIT unless, of course, it's a Fender amp, in which case it goes from zero to WHAM! in a 10 degree turn...

Is there any way to change that?
Quote by Danno13

Quoted mr.danno
Gear
PRS Standard SE
Laney GH100L with Marhsall 1960BV
Digitech Bad monkey
Marshall EH1
EHX Small stone
EHX Small clone
Just sell the MG and buy the 5150. kurdtkobaign plays with 150 tube watts at home. I play with 100 tube watts at home. I know ibanezsz 4life plays a dual or triple recto at home. They just don't reach their potential tone. They don't sound bad though. With high gain amps like that, the majority of the gain is in the preamp anyway.