Hey,

Just wondering what if this is a good way to practice. Been playin for 2 years. I guess it's better to practice on my acoustic than electric? Do 1-2-3-4 chromatic scale up the neck for 30 min. Then practice major scale and all it's modes over key of F for 45 min. Then work on a tab for 30 min

Any ideas / suggestions? Should i be practicing w/ acoustic or electric?
That sounds pretty good. I would incorporate learning chord theory, it's really not hard as long as you know all of your keys really well.

DON'T neglect ear training! Instead of working on a tab, why not try to transcribe some music? Is their a song you like but can't find a tab for? Tab it yourself. If the song is too hard start with something simpler. Developing your ear will really help you when you start to write to because you'll eventually start to recognize what you hear in your head and will know how to play it.

If you are working on technique, such as the left hand patterns (i.e. 1-2-3-4 up and down the neck) the acoustic guitar will help you build your chops better because it's harder to play than electric. Also, it will help you become a cleaner player because there is no distortion to cover up mistakes on an acoustic. I really only practice on electric to do soloing/bending because bending is so @#$! hard on an acoustic guitar.
Sorry, one more thing, get a metronome if you don't have one and USE IT!
Quote by billru44
Hey,

Just wondering what if this is a good way to practice. Been playin for 2 years. I guess it's better to practice on my acoustic than electric? Do 1-2-3-4 chromatic scale up the neck for 30 min. Then practice major scale and all it's modes over key of F for 45 min. Then work on a tab for 30 min

Any ideas / suggestions? Should i be practicing w/ acoustic or electric?

chromatics for 30 minutes????
And modes for 45?????

Damn, well i guess i used to do that steve vai 30 hour guitar workout.

My practice schedule now is just jamming/having fun time. I feel like i already paid my due in practicing. I dont need anymore speed.

Try to find the 30 hour workout
do all that fast stuff for a year. and you should be good enough

Definetly learn chords, songs, improvise, jam, stuff like that, theory too.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Eh, no-one on a guitar forum can tell you how good or bad your practice routine is. How successful it is heavily relies on the quality of the practice session, not the quantity.

If, during this 1 hour and 45 minutes you are aware of your mind and body, are concentrating and are enjoying yourself - brilliant, good routine.

If you're sitting there for 1 hour and 45 minutes without giving a second thought to what you're doing, you might aswell be playing golf...
that sounds like a pretty good practice routine . however, i think that you should definately through in some sweep picking exercises and/or tapping in there as well. a good way to begin your ear training is to try to figure out some pretty simple songs out (like ac/dc).
I personally think thats excessive for chromatic excersises. The only thing those are good for, is mindless speed. Practice improving over other keys, not just "f". Also, i got this excercise from my classical instructor, and its pretty good.

1-2-3-4-1-4-3-4-2-4-3-4

supposedly, segovia did this excercise while he was in the army to make sure he didnt loose his technique. Do it on all frets, on all strings.