So I was putting new strings on my Ibanez RG370DX, and when I was done, I took a glance down at the bridge and found that the whole thing was sunk right down into the body of the guitar. I figured I'd just adjust the bridge action and the springs in back. I started to adjust the bridge action, and as I was doing so, I found that it was not doing a single think to the brigde. It was jsut bringing the screw up. So I tried adjusting the springs in back, and found the it does not do a single thing either. So now I have a bridge the is stuck so low that hitting an open strings, sounds the 24th fret.

Soooo.... what happend? and how do I fix it,

thanks.
You dont know how to tune a floyd rose.

Tuning Floyd Rose:
1) Loosen the locking nut
2) Set your fine tuners to middle position
3) Tune up your guitar to standard or whichever tunings u wish. "Cross-tuning" between strings if you want easier. Tune the low E string> A string> low E string again> D string> low E string>A string... and so forth. Keep repeating for all strings. To make it more easier, tune the low E generally a bit sharper or about half step sharper, so that you might not have to repeat crossing the strings again and again.
4) If the floating bridge comes out, loosen the tunings and then tighten the springs in the tremolo cavity at the back, if the bridge sinks, then vice-versa, until the bridge is parallel to the body.
5) Be patient
6) If you're happy with your tunings and your bridge is well centered, lock in the nut
7) Tune again using the fine tuners

Also some tips - You might want to have at least 3 springs and after following the tuning method above, tighten the 2 claw's screw for about 1/8th or 1/4th more. This is to prevent your floating bridge from getting stuck to the knife edges on the posts (action studs) after you bend notes. You can ignore this if your bridge/trem is reliable (e.g. Edge Pro, Edge, ZR, Lo-Pro Edge, Original Floyd Rose, Licenced Floyd Rose by Kahler/Schaller/Gotoh). But still you may face this problem even if your bridge is very good.

Stretch the strings first if they're new

More info on tuning floyd roses - http://www.floydrose.com/originaltremolo.html
Info on changing strings - http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/features/steal_this_video_re-stringing_guitar.html
Picture guide on how to perform the #4 step mentioned above - http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/floydrosetremolo.htm
http://www.jemsite.com/tech/1setup.htm#step1

------------------------------------------ madpickin03®------------------------------------------
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
thanks, but i followed all of those steps, do would you know how to fix the problem i have?
How many springs are there at the back, try reducing it. Also, what gauge are you putting now?
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Are you sure that the guitar is in tune properly and the bridge still sinks?
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
i cant tune because the bridge is so low that it is fretting the 24th fret making it impossible to tune. But i did tighten it too approx. in tune.
You mean that the guitar now is not in tune?? And why are you so worried about the 24th fret, when you tune you just simply pick open string and tune it.

Its not impossible, nothing is counteracting the spring now coz the strings are all out of place. Just tune the low E string to its normal E and the A string to normal A and the bridge should lift up.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by madpickin03
You mean that the guitar now is not in tune?? And why are you so worried about the 24th fret, when you tune you just simply pick open string and tune it.

Its not impossible, nothing is counteracting the spring now coz the strings are all out of place. Just tune the low E string to its normal E and the A string to normal A and the bridge should lift up.

it is impossible for me to tune because the strings are pressed up against the fretboard so hard that it frets the the 24th fret when i pick an open strings. THAT IS HOW LOW THE BRIDGE IS.

it is impossible for me to pick an open E string right now.
What i would do 1st is just roughly tune the strings estimating the tension without breaking it, the bridge will rise up itself. If the bridge still sinks, remove one of the spring and set it up to 2-4 position at the claw. One more way is to actually dive up your trem while tuning your string.

You can also try raising your action a bit but if you like them before this, then dont mess with it.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by madpickin03
What i would do 1st is just roughly tune the strings estimating the tension without breaking it, the bridge will rise up itself. If the bridge still sinks, remove one of the spring and set it up to 2-4 position at the claw. One more way is to actually dive up your trem while tuning your string.

You can also try raising your action a bit but if you like them before this, then dont mess with it.

please read my first post in this thread again, keeping in mind that during this whole time my strings have been in aprrox. tune.
Eh, my bad, about the dive up thing, you should dive down until the bridge fairly goes parallel and tune it again. Try that.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
And try it with 2 springs afterwards if that doesnt work

EDIT: One more thing, are you downtuning or just using standard?
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Last edited by madpickin03 at Aug 15, 2006,