Does anyone know any specific exercises on increasing the agility and strength of your pinky?

I think it'll come with practice, but I'm looking for something focusing on it so it'll come quicker.
ya i know of 1 if u can find an older issue of guitar world magazine specifically the tribute to master of puppets ft. kirk hammett issue, kirk does a colum which is specifically for increasing pinky dexterity and its really good ive done all the excercises and they are a real workout. hope that helps
Quote by pimpslap1234
ya i know of 1 if u can find an older issue of guitar world magazine specifically the tribute to master of puppets ft. kirk hammett issue, kirk does a colum which is specifically for increasing pinky dexterity and its really good ive done all the excercises and they are a real workout. hope that helps

But, what if u don't have said issue nor money to back order.
Quote by AlecMag
I love that song! You are god for putting it into a poem

Quote by LadyHellRaiser
Your hair is fckin epic, dude!!!

LOVE IT!!!!

Quote by rmr024
no ****in way!
I don't even know you but I think I love you...

So awesome.

I hate my fucking username.
Quote by andersoncouncil
Does anyone know any specific exercises on increasing the agility and strength of your pinky?

I think it'll come with practice, but I'm looking for something focusing on it so it'll come quicker.

There isn't. You have to practice as you just said. Scales, up and down constanly, using your pinky constanly. It will get stronger but it won't be overnight. Just practice alot.
Quote by demonic_fishie
Johnson's naturally have a small kink in them, but if you've got a ninety-degree bend in it you should get it checked.

But hey, at least you could piss round corners.
try the walking exercise i.e. 1-4 : 2-4 : 3-4 repeated on all strings
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Do scales up and down like adamk said. Try minor scales at first, then do major scales.

Generally, when it comes to fretting, pinky troubles are not due to weakness, but lack of finger independence. Try some Spider exercises along with scale runs:

Play these notes with the corresponding fingers:
1=Index
2=Middle
3=Ring
4=Pinky

(notated for bass, but you can adapt it to a guitar)

1    3    2    4
G-------7--------8-------------------
D--5--------6------------------------
A------------------------------------
E------------------------------------

When you play a new note on the same string, lift up the other finger on the string (ex: when you go to play the 6 on the D, lift the finger playing the 5). However, wait until the last possible moment to do so; you want to keep the notes ringing on the strings as long as you possibly can, to stretch out your fingers more and gain independence.

Start off slow, then get faster. When you get better, move on form playing 5ths to octaves, etc.
put your 2 down on any fret and hit the string with the pick once and then hammer on and pull off with your pinky for 30 seconds a day
On the high e string, do this: 1---h---4---t---7. Over and over agian till you get tired. Rest for half hour, come back and try again. Then when you can stay for a while, move onto next string.
dynaflex balls dramatically increase pinkie strength. Try playing the pinkie where normally you would play the ring finger.

Ive got a great Marty friedman article about how he played Symphony of Destruction with all fingers (its only a F5-e5 chord change and 2 notes). I would get it but i have to search like 300 guitar magazines (the things people used to buy before UG!)
a good excerise i used to do alot is this

e--------------------------------3-4-------------------
B------------------------3----2------3----4--------------
G---------------3----2----1------------2----3----4---------
D-------3----2----1----------------------------2----3---4--
A----2----1--------------------------------------------2----3--
E-1--------------------------------------------------------------2

done obvoisly in triplets and u use the index middle ring/ middle ring pinky and u keep goin up the neck to whever. good excersice helps alot with picking if u use alternate picking properly
thats right.....im available

green day won best band of the year...next thing you know theyll start telling us barneys actually a shade of blue
Buy a finger strength exerciser...

You can get em cheap at any guitar shop. Make sure that it is the type that allows you to work each finger individually (so 4 seperate plates each with it's own spring). Use it everywhere all the time (unless it start to hurt). Do it in class, in the car wherever. You'll notice drastic increases in strength and flexibility.
Yea, do some blues scales. Try bending strings with your pinky. That helped me out a bunch.
Run!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Simply, the world was too small for a man of his ambition.
Quote by ifeastonbums
GuitarSymphony you are my hero!
I used to have pinky problems too, just keep practicing some scales, or do a walking exercise using just your ring finger and your pinky. Also, a couple good pinky using riffs are the little spider riff in Master of Puppets and the entire song "Engel" by Rammstein.
My Gear

BC Rich Warlock
Austin Acoustic-Electric
Line 6 150w 2x12 Flextone III
Line 6 POD XT Live
1 3 2 4
G-------7--------8-------------------
D--5--------6------------------------
A------------------------------------
E------------------------------------

Did that for 20 mins today and my lil' fingers already faster and a bit more reliable, cheers!
-Play the intro part (the arpeggios) of Always With Me Always With You.
-The first legato part of Flying In A Blue Dream (not necessarily at original tempo).
-Like said above, the tapping part of One's solo, using your pinky to do the pull-off of course.
Quote by denizenz

You can get em cheap at any guitar shop. Make sure that it is the type that allows you to work each finger individually (so 4 seperate plates each with it's own spring). Use it everywhere all the time (unless it start to hurt). Do it in class, in the car wherever. You'll notice drastic increases in strength and flexibility.

Yeah they work really well. I've lost mine which is a shame

I would say playing chromatic scales would help as well:

e-----------------------------------------------------1-2-3-4---|
B-------------------------------------------1-2-3-4-------------|
G--------------------------------1-2-3-4------------------------|
D----------------------1-2-3-4----------------------------------|
A------------1-2-3-4--------------------------------------------|
E--1-2-3-4------------------------------------------------------|

Helps all your fingers really. Play it up and down the neck.
Official member of the "UG Senior Citizens Club For People Over 21"
Official member of the "UG Fat Chicks Appreciation Club" (Yeah, no one will probably follow...)

http://trivium.org/images/press/gw.jpg I do this every day and it has helped a lot, aslo if you play a lot of powerchords start doing them with your index finger and pinky that helps too.
SPAM
Stock Gibson Pickups from a 2005 V, I think they're a 498T and 500T set FS/FT
Duncan Distortion (regular spaced) FS

Looking for: an acoustic, recording gear, or $
Squeeze a clothespin between your thumb and pinky to strengthen your pinky. It works pretty well (my piano teacher suggested it to me).
Quote by denizenz

I've heard that those are bad for the tendons in your fingers. Besides, like I said before, most pinky problems are from lack of finger independence, not weakness.
scales, that 1234 thing, and

that sort of thing if your pinky gets sore it means its working

damn i got the second page
I don't have any problems playing anything with my pinky but it tends to straighten when i play anything with my ring finger (excluding when they are close together). Do similar exercises help and is there anything more specific to my problem?
Quote by Scourge441
I've heard that those are bad for the tendons in your fingers. Besides, like I said before, most pinky problems are from lack of finger independence, not weakness.

I havn't heard that it's bad for your tendons...I've heard that it helps liberate your pinky from your ring finger by loosening the tendon(s) that connect them.
hammer on and pull off all of this

from troy stenia metal leads guitar book as well as a killer exercise.

oh and it isnt limited to just the low e. try it on all 6 strings xD. happy fretting!!

hope ur weak pinky disease goes away.

e--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
b--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
g--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
d--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
a--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
e--1--2--1--2--1--2--1--2--1--3--1--3--1--3--1--3--1--4--1--4--1--4--1--4