well i think from 1960's-now i'd have to say the 70's guitarists are the most overrated. they're all great i'm admitting that, david gilmour and jimmy page have made some ****ing great music, but when i see top 100 lists when they're in front of guys who can play much better than they can and (in my opinion) play better not just in skill but musically. because it seems like in that decade if you were a famous guitarist, you became a guitar legend, and now they're considered one of the greatest players to ever grace the instrument. well the only argument imo against that is that rock music was fresh back then so they made a bigger impact than say hair metal.

you may discuss.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
- Jimi Hendrix
That Micheal Angelo Batio fellow is way over rated. Playing with both hand is nothing but noise in my opinion. Kurt Cobaine is the most over rated guitarist ever.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
i can't think of many guitarists who can play with as much feeling as David Gilmour, not to mention someone with the improvisational skills that Jimmy Page has, so they're not overrated at all - they have every right to be considered guitar legends

it does seem that many top 100 lists were graced by players from the 70's, but at the time they were playing, it was groundbreaking when they did things nobody ever even thought about doing, and the impact they had is unbelievable

John Petrucci and Dream Theater = most underrated guitarist and band ever
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
kurt cobain should be nowhere near any top 100 list. i've said it once and i'll say it again: he probably came up with the "smells like teen spirit" lick accidentally. and batio blows.
Quote by rockr09
deffinetly the punk rock era, which i think were still in sadly...

they aren't OVERRATED, everyone thinks they sucks so how can they be overrated

and i'd say the 90s
Quote by axe_grinder247
i can't think of many guitarists who can play with as much feeling as David Gilmour, not to mention someone with the improvisational skills that Jimmy Page has, so they're not overrated at all - they have every right to be considered guitar legends

it does seem that many top 100 lists were graced by players from the 70's, but at the time they were playing, it was groundbreaking when they did things nobody ever even thought about doing, and the impact they had is unbelievable

John Petrucci and Dream Theater = most underrated guitarist and band ever

oh yeah i'll agree with you on gilmour having amazing feeling, but he can get repetitive (high hopes), and i think if he had more skill maybe he'd have more licks to choose from his repetoire to perhaps enhance the emotion and song. but if he played differently it wouldn't be the same. there's no right answer.

i guess another point too is that guitarists played differently after the 70's, in the 80's everyone was doing hard rock/heavy metal and playing differently than like zep and floyd, and if you think about it, nobody has really redefined the blues rock guitar since hendrix, or maybe SRV. but neither hendrix or SRV started a wave of people to play like them, everyone idolizes them but nobody can play like them, so they have this blazing originality that just leaves its mark. so i'd have to say blues-rock guitar hasn't really changed much since the 70's, so then my earlier statements could be redefined. i'm not saying this just to change my opinion with yours, but to be able to argue with yourself only helps you analyze something better.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
- Jimi Hendrix
Underrated to WHO?

This type of argument was already shut down in the classic rock forum. It has no place here, so I'm closing this. It's pointless to argue as there is nothing to argue as fact. It turns into a spamfest and I don't feel like dealing with it.

*CLOSED*
Looking for my India/Django.