I have an Aria Pro II RS Straycat. I am looking to upgrade it and refinish it. I've done research on it, its from 1984-1986. Its an alder body. It has these crappy humbuckers...crapping out on me. I'm going to replace the electronics too, they're a bit fuzzy and the volume can't go completely up. There is a coil tap, I was hoping to keep it, if at all possible. Any ideas on what pickups I should put in?

These two links are to catalogs for reference:

http://www.matsumoku.org/models/ariaproii/catalogs/1985/85_ap2_cat_pg9.jpg.html

http://www.matsumoku.org/models/ariaproii/catalogs/1985/85_ap2_cat_pg17.jpg.html
Quote by fredthecat
Oh, you caught me, I'm just a pseudo-intellectual 7th grader.
wow thats a pretty nice looking guitar
what kind of music do you like/play?
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
Where are you located (Europe, Britain, US, etc.)?

And as danzing pointed out, what are you looking to play?

EDIT: I would probably throw in another switch for a coil split on each pickup so you can combine SH or HS, whatever.
Last edited by SuperAnalytical at Aug 15, 2006,
Well, my style of playing is jazz, blues and funk but if I cover anything its usually alternative, punk and experimental stuff. I have another guitar, an Epi Dot, and this one just doesn't live up to it. It sounds terrible when its on distortion, like I can still hear the clean behind it.
Quote by fredthecat
I'm in US...
Quote by fredthecat
I also really like this guitar because its smaller and I can move alot faster across the fret board, so I was really dissappointed when it wasn't sounding that great.
Quote by fredthecat
Hmmmm. Tough decision.

I would try playing the blues, jazz, and funk on the Dot. Then for all the alternative stuff hmm.

What's your budget?
Are you planning on getting another amp, or are you currently pleased with it?
get a gibson, you cant go wrong with a gibson... unlesss of course.........you buy one.
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey Valveking 112
Line 6 über-Metal Pedal

Quote by pwrmax
All you care about is looks? No wonder you have it hard.

Quote by srvflood
You can't have sex with her personality.
Quote by shadowsoldier08
get a gibson, you cant go wrong with a gibson... unlesss of course.........you buy one.

That didn't help...
Quote by fredthecat
Someone posted in the wrong forum unless he was talking Gibson pickups, which are pretty much only decent.

So yeah, what's your budget man?
I don't really have one right now. Just need some reccomendations and prices/good set of pickups.
Quote by fredthecat
I would probably go Swineshead.

www.swinesheadpickups.co.uk

Prices for 2 'buckers would be around $170 depending on your custom options. It's not bad for the quality.

Seymour Duncans and Dimarzios traditionally go for about $120 a pair.

As for the SH's, I would probably go Warthog bridge, Condor neck.

There's also another British pickup company I'll get you the link for, although they go for about $320 a pair, but are high quality wound for perfection stuff.

www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk
Wow, thanks man that really narrows it down for me. Maybe if i'm lucky i'll have any extra 320 kickin' around for the english ones But i'm pretty sure i'll just check out the first three.
Quote by fredthecat
What setup would you reccomend from Bare Knuckles?
Quote by fredthecat
Yeah, there are a couple other custom wound shops I know of but I don't think you've had enough experience to know how many winds it takes for your ideal tone.

www.wolfetone.com
www.sdpickups.com

BTW, if you get enough for the BKs, I would really suggest getting a new amp instead. Unless you're completely content, but spending $320 on pickups through an MG might not be the best of sounds IMO.

For BKs probably a Cold Sweat bridge and Riff Raff neck. Although, I would suggest probably emailing the main man at BK. I think you just have to give him a few bands and stuff to compare to, and he should give you a pretty good idea of what to get.

If you'd like, I could reactivate my account there and I could post in the forums for you, your choice.
Right, i'm not an electronics guy and I've never customized either. I've been playing for almost 4 years, just to put that out there.

I know what you mean with the MG, I was just asking if I ever was seriously looking at them.
Quote by fredthecat
Naw, thanks though. I'm good for the night. I would like a little direction as far as the duncans and the dimarzios though.
Quote by fredthecat
Hm... I've been playing alot of Incubus, The Mars Volta, RHCP...although I also play some zeppelin. I'm into some metal and hardcore bands, so there's that too. I guess i'm looking for a versatile set up.
Quote by fredthecat
well you may want to take a look at some emgs or some vintage looking gibson pups. if you can try and find an original pair to replace them with. it will at least keep the value of the guitar up. or just retire it and buy a new one. with an older guitar like that as soon as you throw a set of emgs on it or something there will be almost no value left in it. look on ebay for a set of originals your bound to find them
Well, the value is 200. A good chunk of money. If I do that I'll probably end up painting it black again too. It was my father's guitar when he was younger, so it might be a good idea to just leave it the way it is?
Quote by fredthecat
Meh. As long as you know that it isn't worth in excess of a grand, by all means paint it.

I would try a Pearly Gates neck with a Custom Custom bridge. You can also go for the Jazz SH-2, which would be fine. That would be for the Duncans.

As for Dimarzio, I'd have to check out their site. I'll be back in a moment or two with an edit.

EDIT: Fixed "eidt" and have Dimarzio.

Super Distortion bridge and Air Norton neck sound ok?
oh yea definently if it was your father old guitar you may want to leave it the way it is and get a glass display case and put it in there. thats what i did with a number of guitars. i have my fisrt guitar in one. and my grandfathers old guitar which my brother took form thier house originally and he was gonna have the pickups replace good thing i cought him before he did. i traded him one of my older sg's for it. just so he didnt ruin a pricless item. but theres a big difference between my grandfathers and your dads. my grandfather is no longer with us and that guitar is the only thing left of his from his guitar days. and its a tad bit older. its a all original 1957 gibson Les paul custom.

but if i were you id retire it and put it on display. just take it out every once and a while and play it. cuz you never know your dad will be gone one day and that may be the only thing you have to really remember him by. and it would suck if it wasnt original.

you know what im sayin. im not tryin to shut down your idea of revamping it just giving some insite from experience.
Hey, thanks, I really appreciate that. That's a really good point there, I'll keep that in mind.
Quote by fredthecat