I've noticed how jimi hendrix instead of atleast three-note-chords, alot of times used two note intervals. it sounds good for what he was doing but like do you think they are strong enough for heavier rock? the reason im asking is because i liek writing songs with them but then i dont know if the song will be strong enough once i play it with a band.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Mesa Boogie Mark IV

Quote by aerosmithfan95
I wanna know what some blues sounding chords I could use in the key of D Aeolian fifth mode of Melodic Minor.

Quote by szekelymihai
try looking for Cm, or any of those complicated jazz chords
it wont sound as "full" but it doenst really matter, if u feel more comfortable go for it.
No I don't want to play your guitar... I might light it on fire.
i would suspect he did this as a habit so he could use his other fingers to hammer and pull on other notes. he also used an octave pedal which would fill out his sound anyway..
Yeah, neither one is "stronger" than the other. They just each have their place.
Looking for my India/Django.
yeah exactly, it'll just sound different. shadows fall is a great example, if you pay attention to the guitar work they do under fair's vocals they're doing intervals/double stops all the time and it gets the job done. i'd do it if i were you, one more thing you could do to not be like every other modern metal guitarist.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
- Jimi Hendrix
when ur improvising a lot u get these ideas of jus shortening the chord to two notes and u could call it a milion different names jus to fit in with the key. thats what i think anyways and that what works for me
thats right.....im available

green day won best band of the year...next thing you know theyll start telling us barneys actually a shade of blue
cool thanks for the input.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Mesa Boogie Mark IV

Quote by aerosmithfan95
I wanna know what some blues sounding chords I could use in the key of D Aeolian fifth mode of Melodic Minor.

Quote by szekelymihai
try looking for Cm, or any of those complicated jazz chords
If the bass hits the root, and your singing the 5th, you can play the 3rd and b7th on guitar, which is technically a tritone, but it fits perfectly. I do that when jamming, when I know what chord is being played, just play 2 notes from the chord. It's really nice for Jazz or Fusion, and sometimes especially Jam Bands.
Seeing as how a power chord is a two-note interval, yes, they are strong enough for rock music.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by coffeeguy9
If the bass hits the root, and your singing the 5th, you can play the 3rd and b7th on guitar, which is technically a tritone, but it fits perfectly. I do that when jamming, when I know what chord is being played, just play 2 notes from the chord. It's really nice for Jazz or Fusion, and sometimes especially Jam Bands.

Yep. Plus, since you (threadstarter) seem to want to play with distortion (I'm guessing that's what you mean by "power") you could probably get away with playing more interesting notes than you would by playing the full chord, with would sound muddy.

So if, like coffeeguy9 says, the bass is playing the root, you could play the third and b7 and have everything for a dom7 except the fifth, and it wouldn't sound as muddy as you doing a dominant 7 chord using all six strings.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out

I've never thought of it that way, but i like that thinking, It's cool. I'm going to keep that in mind next time im writing a song.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬