I am looking for either the epiphone korina explorer or the esp ex-50. I am buying second hand and both are in perfect condition. The epiphone is slightly more expensive, but the hardware that comes stock seems better in the epiphone, and I've read better reviews on it.

Which should I go for do you think? I am going to be paying a bit more for the epiphone but I reckon its worth it if you guys do. Cheers.
Yeah, you want to stay away from anything below LTD's 200 series.
Cheers guys I reckon its pretty sexy -- its black with no scratch plate it looks beastial. I shall post some pics when I get it.
the ex400 is also like a whole order of magnitude out of my price range.. heh.. i dont really like the diamond plate either..
The EX-400 doesn't have to come in the diamond plate... actually, it's cheaper if you get one of the regular colours.... black, white, or a cherry red.... I think.
Gear:
Fender Standard Telecaster (Sunburst Finish)
Washburn X-Series Electric (Black Finish)
Ibanez Electric-Acoustic (Black Finish)
Ariana Acoustic

Randall RX120D Halfstack
that's good.. not even hetfield looks good with a diamond plate attatched to his guitar
Really depends on your genre of music. While the Epi Explorer can handle anything, the ESP EX series can really only handle metal/hardcore because of the EMG pickups.
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
Quote by matt_moonhead
TIP: ESP under 400 range = ****
ESP 400 and Over = Awesome

As true as it gets.
As I see the ignorance of humanity engulfing reason and sanity like a wave of perpetual defeat and misery I ask myself, when the hell is everyone going to shut up and actually think?
the epiphone one isnt all to great either maybe save for a gibson one when i bought it i didnt know anything about guitarbut if u like it then get it it gets 3/5 stars
My guitars...

LTD H-1000
Epiphone Explorer
Fender Strat
Fender Acoustic

Amps...

Marshall Mode Four
fender frontman possibly for sale

Quote by Pleiadian
(with active EMG-HZ pickups)
i dont like the ESP explorers at all since they stopped making them in the actual explorer shape, cos Gibbo got all annoyed at them. Hetfield's old ones are actually ESP (some of them) before they stopped making the exact same shape...
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
the epiphone is a far better choice the ex50 is made of agathis, the ex400s are great the emg 81 set good for metal and hardcore maybe some hardrock and blues but nothing else no clean at all, i have a ex400 in white and a gibson explorer they sound nothing alike
Quote by TTHX

Actualyl avoid any new LTD below a 400 model. That EX-260 is a piece of junk as well. For used, avoid anything below the 300 models.

So to the thread starter, the Epiphone is light years ahead of that EX-50. However, an EX-400 pretty much ass-rapes the Epiphone. It's just the shape that's an issue with some people. I happen to own both a custom ESP Explorer (Gibson-style) and an EX-351, and I like them both...

But avoid that EX-50 as you'd avoid Michael Jackson if he was enviting you for a sleepover for 'fun and games'.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Id just avoid ANY LTD some of the hardware is just junk your sure you get somethimng good with epiphone ive got an explorer kirina (black and white) and its good not great but good enough. but the esp's explorers dont look that good its got a wierd shape too.*
well they still do make the regular exp shape in japan but for lawsuit issues cannot sell them in the US, and as far as tone wood an ESP 400 series will most likely surpass a korean epiphone, as well as with hardware
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
Quote by TTHX

Actually, the EX-260 is pretty low end too. It's just a set neck version of the EX-50, also made in Indonesia. I wouldn't touch any LTD with a model number under 300 (for the old models), or 400 (for any LTD made in 2004 or beyond).
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Last edited by Crunchmeister at Feb 21, 2007,
good god i thought this was really an Ephiphone Vs ESP, as in MIJ ESP. ESP woulda blown epiphone outta the water :P
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
Some people just can't seem to differentiate ESP and LTD. They're 2 completely separate brands, but people still continue to screw it up.

Quote by matt_moonhead
TIP: ESP under 400 range = ****
ESP 400 and Over = Awesome

I dont even think they sell USED ESP's for that cheap...
Overdrive of the Autobot Transformers G1 Club

Van Halen, October 16th, All-state arena, Section 213 Row A
Quote by D0c7oR 8oB
I dont even think they sell USED ESP's for that cheap...

Those aren't prices, those are model numbers. And he means LTD, not ESP.

my friend has the epi explorer and he loves it but he already had to send one back due to dodgy electronics
then SAY LTD not ESP, i hate people who mix em up...
Overdrive of the Autobot Transformers G1 Club

Van Halen, October 16th, All-state arena, Section 213 Row A
People tend to mix them up deliberately because they want their guitar to be an ESP when it isn't. That's the same people who generally refer to their Epiphones as Gibson because it says Gibson on the truss rod cover.

On a side note - notice that new LTDs no longer say ESP on the truss rod cover? Seems like even ESP want to kill that confusion, because both brands are VERY different.