Sorry about such a random question, but I was just curious. I keep hearing about pop filters (I just so happen to have a mic rig/sound card including condenser mics, though no pop filter) for vocals. So basically, I am just wondering what is the point of them? I realize that they are placed between the singer's mouth and the microphone, however, I fail to understand the point of this? Does it make a difference whether or not one uses them or not when recording vocals (does it affect the recording's quality/clarity, for example?)? Or is it just to keep spit off of the mic? Thanks a lot in advance!
i think it might be so you dont like spit on the mic or something like that.............it makes sence i mean you dont want i spit-up mic
Member #19 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club."

Quote by chaoticmayhem
Toads are cool; it's those frog bastards that I don't like.

Whats your philosophy on life?
its so good to be back!
I think it so that it doesn't record the "pop" of your voice. Certain words make you blow into the mic, so it "pops" I guess? Someone correct me if im wrong.
It softens plosives, P's and B's etc so they don't come through too loud, essential if you're using large diaphragm condensers for vocals.
Quote by Weybl Himself
It softens plosives, P's and B's etc so they don't come through too loud, essential if you're using large diaphragm condensers for vocals.

aha, I do in fact have a large diaphragm (and come to think of it, I do remember hearing something about pop filters being used with them). Thanks a lot, sir, as well as everyone else.