What's the difference between the humbuckers that look like single coil pickups and the humbuckers that look like a block of metal? What are the each called? Ta.
well, what you are calling a single coil is i think a mini-humbucker, i might be wrong, or it might be your description. the 'metal block' is a normal hb. sorry, dont know the difference...
One pickup is covered, the ones that look like singles are not. With the uncovered you can see each of the single coils just one is phased differently. Putting a cover on it gives it a different sound and it is less "hot."
Quote by heaven's gate
well, what you are calling a single coil is i think a mini-humbucker, i might be wrong, or it might be your description. the 'metal block' is a normal hb. sorry, dont know the difference...

I think he means covered humbuckers.

They're pretty much the same thing...the covers are just for appearance; they barely alter the tone.

Perhaps you're thinking of EMGs, which always have covers?
are you refering to the rail pickups (sinle coil size but have two parallel lines going across) when you say humbuckers that look like single coil?
I thought there had to be more to it than that... lol I've seen a particular epiphone guitar with gold "humbuckers" that were roughly as long as they were wide, and then the same model with "humbuckers" that looked like two groups of two single coils. Same thing?
^^ Yes, it's just that one has the coils covered by a metal cover, the others are called "open coils."
Quote by heaven's gate

Incorrect. A "Minibucker" is a specific type of humbucker used on certain vintage guitars. The ones that are single coil sized are called "stacked" humbuckers.
Hi, I'm Peter
I play music of the metal form. Generally speaking would covered be better or worse than uncovered humbuckers. Or is there no difference.

Also, can you buy covers?
Usually metal players play with open coils. They sound a little brighter than covered. The exception, of course, is EMGs, which are almost always covered but are active, so it doesn't matter. And yes, you can buy covers that will fit most open coil humbuckers.
Hi, I'm Peter
What kind of price are they and are they a generally bought modification for guitars or is it somewhat a nieche ?