is it worth the maybe 1300 dollars i saw it for on musicians friend? i see it getting alot of praise.. yet i also see some people saying about how its an over rated bass i was thinking about the fireglo color

my styles can really be all over the place for bass..
im in some band right now that does rock/punk/pop punk/alternative stuff.. but one of my bass heroes is cliff burton(r.i.p.) and i kno a rick was one of his basses...

some of my favorite bands are red hot chili peppers, metallica, billy talent, foo fighters, and motley crue.. and too many more to list

how would the rick be for all that??

another question.. are their any companies which make rickenbacker copies?

thanks for your time....

peace
eh it sounds like itd fit ur syle

and also theres not many copies out there might get lucky on ebay tho
Guitars:
Custom les paul copy with sun inlay
Epiphone les paul custom with emg 81/85
Hondo 80's star shape(project)
ESP explorer (project)
Epiphone dr200s
Epiphone ej200
pedals:
mxr doubleshot distortion
amp:
Raven rg100
Most companies are not allowed to Copy Rics, because Rick is VERY stingent with their designs.

Basically a Rick will sound like a Rick will sound like a Rick, you can change the sound around a bit, and it's not unversatile, but the RICK sound is the RICK sound. But, the RICK sound has found it's place in metal (Motorhead), 70s prog rock (Yes, Rush), current rock type deals, etc.

Cliff's Ricky was modded to hell and back, it didn't sound like a Rick by the time he was done with it.

If you like the sound of a Rickenbacker after having played one, go 'head. If you don't, but you like the recorded tone, check out a change of strings, because Rickys are very changable with a set of different strings. I'm not huge of their sound with a set of 15-20 year old flats (Some vintage ones of played) But when I was a beginner I played one with rounds that I enjoyed, but it smelled really bad (it was used and had been played in many smokey bars, is my guess).

The Rickenbacker basses are very well made, and they are a legacy, and Ric knows this. They have some of the highest damn build quality in a production bass, but the Rickenbacker souns the Rickenbacker sound, if you like it, it's a perfect bass, if you don't, there's no denying the quality, but it's a very real possiblitiy it isn't for you.
haha
find the bass that has your sound, not cliff burton's sound. and chances are someone like cliff burton had more to his sound than just a rick. think of how many things it goes through before it gets to your ears.

a musicman stingray would probably work better for you. flea from chili peppers and jon gallant from billy talent both use/d stingrays, and well stingrays are sure strong enough to fit into metal.
haha yea i kno the ricks arent exactly good looking basses.. but i have heard they play good.. so thats the main thing.. lol most of the kids i kno who play bass play fender basses and wont even ever try out anything else...

i kno cliff used some effects(something called Big Muff and Morley Power wah-boost)

yea the thing for me now is possibly seeing if i could even find a rick that i could try.. i live in canada so i guess musiciansfriend wouldnt be able to ship too where i live anyways..
Musiciansfriend ships some things to Canada... but w/ a Rick you've really gotta see if it's YOURS before you buy it.

And Ricks look beautiful, IMO

And if you want to know, Cliff's Ricky had a Gibson EB-0 mudbucker in the neck (Re-Routed obviously to make the huge humbucker fit) and a 70s Fender Jazz bridge picukp in the bridge area of of the Ric.

He then went into a Russian Big Muff pedal and a Morley Dual Wah, which went into an Ampeg head that went through Mesa Boogie cabs.

Basically, a Rick won't give you Cliff tone. Especially considering I'm relatively sure the Ricky was stolen in 84 or something, and he used Aria Pro II SB-1000's more.
haha
whoa s**t i knew cliff used some effects but i never knew he changed the pickups... personally if i spent that much money on a bass id never change anything.. i wouldnt wanna risk it

if i actually got a rick and tried to get all that done.. (effects wouldnt be a problem to get)
but the pickup changes.. no thanks

yea i kno he used aria's as well..

thanks for all the info.
Quote by motley_cruester
whoa s**t i knew cliff used some effects but i never knew he changed the pickups... personally if i spent that much money on a bass id never change anything.. i wouldnt wanna risk it

if i actually got a rick and tried to get all that done.. (effects wouldnt be a problem to get)
but the pickup changes.. no thanks

yea i kno he used aria's as well..

thanks for all the info.

Iunno personally I'd be kinda interested in messing 'round with a Ricky to Cliffisize it... I'm not looking for Cliff's tone (You shouldn't either bro, as much stuff as there is it's 100% also in his hands) I'd love to play a Ricky as a tribute/homage to him.
haha
If you like the Rickenbacker tone then yes it is worth it, IMO i don't like the tone of Ricks or the feel of them, but the are by far one of the nicest factory made bassist out there... you'll only know if you like it if you go out and play one.
Member of UG's Mac users club. PM Metalstillsucks if you are wanting in.

Quote by hendrixmusicman
whats IMO? like Emo? If imo is emo, then buddy, you can just shut up because im in the anti emo army. same with the veggies. I'm classic rock all the way.
I would love a Rick, mainly for Bruce Foxtons stuff with the jam. Awesome sound. But i hear they're not too good for slap, so it'll be a few years before i can justify it.
Quote by slayaplaya

(oh! maybe some one will sig that witty comment! maybe not...)
I think Rickenbackers are beautiful bass guitars (possibly THE most beautiful IMO)
Co-Founder of The Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or timmEH to join

#1 Rush / Yes fan of The Bass Militia
PM Dinky to join

Founder of The Ernie Ball MusicMan owners club and proud owner of a Black Sapphire Bongo 4 HHp
PM me to join
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Iunno personally I'd be kinda interested in messing 'round with a Ricky to Cliffisize it... I'm not looking for Cliff's tone (You shouldn't either bro, as much stuff as there is it's 100% also in his hands) I'd love to play a Ricky as a tribute/homage to him.

Yeah I have a '74 Rickenbacker 4001 and I'm putting in Seymour Duncan SRB-1 Humbuckers in em. It will really bring out the Ric sound better than the old ones and it will eliminate the hum coming from the coiled pickups.

and yeah motley_cruester you should really try one out and see if you like it and then decide if its for you. Because that is alot of money to lay down if you're not sure.
Last edited by GnFnR at Aug 16, 2006,
Quote by GnFnR
Yeah I have a '74 Rickenbacker 4001 and I'm putting in Seymour Duncan SRB-1 Humbuckers in em. It will really bring out the Ric sound better than the old ones and it will eliminate the hum coming from the coiled pickups.

and yeah motley_cruester you should really try one out and see if you like it and then decide if its for you. Because that is alot of money to lay down if you're not sure.

EEK! That thing is like a collector's dream. It's just my opinion, but i wouldn't change a thing if i were you. It's worth the most the way it came out of the factory.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
i wish i had a Rick it's my dream bass. oh well, maybe one day.
Member 3 of Geddy Lee Fan Club. PM timmEH or RIC4003 to join

Member of Bass militia. PM Dinkydaisy to join

Cliff Burton is my idol. R.I.P

MegaBassPlayer's band of the week: Bound For Glory
Quote by Your41Plague12
EEK! That thing is like a collector's dream. It's just my opinion, but i wouldn't change a thing if i were you. It's worth the most the way it came out of the factory.

Yeah but i never plan on selling it, thats the reason why im putting those pickups in. If I planned on selling it I would never dream of changing anything.
*Master of The Modded RIC.*

I've done everything to mine and back again.

best damned bass...and the sexiest IMO.

Bumper will agree.

~Roger
www.myspace.com/boisebass <- slap demo
MSN = Fox_NP

GIGRIG
Mesa Titan V12, Ampeg 8x10E, Korg DTR2000, Sennheiser freePORT Wireless.

BASSES
'74 RickenMonster, Fernandes Retrospect Deluxe, ABG.
Quote by RogerBeam
*Master of The Modded RIC.*

I've done everything to mine and back again.

best damned bass...and the sexiest IMO.

Bumper will agree.

~Roger

Have you added pickups to yours to replace the stock pickups? Because I've got Seymour Duncan SRB-1s on order and when they come in they will replace the stock pickups on my ric.
Personally, you should try it out yourself. You can play a one hell of an expensive bass that everyone thinks is godly but you may not like it. Its all a matter of personal preferences.

Oh and Rickenbackers are very good-looking, sexy basses.
Sent from my iPad.
Quote by GnFnR
Have you added pickups to yours to replace the stock pickups? Because I've got Seymour Duncan SRB-1s on order and when they come in they will replace the stock pickups on my ric.

I've got both the neck and the bridge replacements in there...I've also got mine all rewired and rearranged. It's a beast. 4001 though
pinstriped.
rewired.
new pickups
brushed steel pickguard.
among other things.

good luck with your modding and upgrading.
~Roger
www.myspace.com/boisebass <- slap demo
MSN = Fox_NP

GIGRIG
Mesa Titan V12, Ampeg 8x10E, Korg DTR2000, Sennheiser freePORT Wireless.

BASSES
'74 RickenMonster, Fernandes Retrospect Deluxe, ABG.
i love ricks, my dad nearly bought a really aweosme one and then didnt....damn him
"No one ? and I repeat, no one ? has ever died for a flag. See, a flag ... is just a piece of cloth. They may have died for freedom, which is also the freedom to burn the f*ckin' flag, see. That's freedom." - Bill Hicks