Ok so I really want to get into Miles Davis, but im a little overwhelmed because of his 50 year career...

So i need help with some suggestions for good albums of his to start off getting into, stuff that is just very definitive of Miles Davis, whatever he is most famous for stuff like that, or whatever you all feel are best representative of him.

I mean im sure he had diff' stages in his lengthy career, and anybody could inform me about those and different albums that went along with those periods I would really be appreciative.

and also what is "cool jazz" i hear that associated with him alot, and what albums would be cosidered cool jazz.

Thanks.
yup get a compilation like 'Groovin' or Kind of Blue which is great if you just getting into his music

to be honest I've got Bitches Brew and cant stand it, I mean i actually hate the album and its not a particularly good example of his style or if your getting into jazz - but thats just my opinion
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
Bitches Brew.

Get it - you will not be dissapointed.

I was

I'm with Guitar_thingy I think, I just really am not into Bitches Brew.

Kind of Blue is probably the most common starting point. It's a very common album that even non-jazz fans have, and not without reason. There are some good tracks on it.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
^yea, bitches brew is very disappointing, to me its just a bunch of noise, go also go for miles' early stuff
kind of blue i believe is the bestselling jazz album of all time, and for good reason. bitches brew can disappoint, although most people do consider it brilliant. on the other hand, it's almost impossible to dislike kind of blue, and it tops many of the greatest-jazz-album polls.
"I see my light come shining from the west down to the east
Any day now, any day now I shall be released"

Know any good teachers in NY, especially skilled in teaching ear training? Tell me
Quote by Guitar_thingy
to be honest I've got Bitches Brew and cant stand it, I mean i actually hate the album and its not a particularly good example of his style or if your getting into jazz - but thats just my opinion

Yeah, the album is definetly a lot different from some of his earlier stuff, I mean, on this album he basically invented fusion, but I honestly love fusion, so that's probably why I like it so much.
Get Kind of blue, Bitches brew was to much for me.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Kind Of Blue is really good, and it's a lot more accessible than Bitches Brew (save that one for later). KOB has simple song structures with the intention of focusing more on melody, and the result is the most successful jazz album ever made. You'll probably recorgnize some of the tunes.