Page 1 of 39
All right all of us here love metal but metal has its cons. What bothers me about metal bands is the image certain bands put out. Like Cradle of Filth or Behometh I think the whole make up thing is a bit too much just play your instruments and you'll be fine. What do you guys think?
the metalheads who are close minded to other music. and metalcore. if you even desire to call that metal, it should really be called post-hardcore because its a disgusting disgrace to metal music, "hardcore" music should never be confused with metal, and too often it is. i was on ug today and some guy thought pantera was hardcore!
Quote by FullBaked
the metalheads who are close minded to other music. and metalcore. if you even desire to call that metal, it should really be called post-hardcore because its a disgusting disgrace to metal music, "hardcore" music should never be confused with metal, and too often it is. i was on ug today and some guy thought pantera was hardcore!

Oh, the irony!

I second the close minded metalheads.
What's not to like about metal?

Close-minded for your info, does not mean you get metal confused with other genres. It means you're not open to other genres. It's the opposite of open-minded. :P I don't know if that was what you meant, your post confuzzled me. Just correct me if I'm wrong.

Onto the topic, what I just mentioned and those bands who overdo the whole corpse paint thing. I don't see the point in just going out performing like normal people. Oh, and the people who are idiots and give metal a bad name... Grrr... Just hate them so much.
If you are reading this, you fail at life. Go cut yourself and save yourself more misery.

Quote by Antartica.
What do you think about Opeths soft singer, do you think they need that vocalist or is that wut makes them Opeth?
Nothing really. Metal owns.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by gnr_fan_17
What's not to like about metal?

Close-minded for your info, does not mean you get metal confused with other genres. It means you're not open to other genres. It's the opposite of open-minded. :P I don't know if that was what you meant, your post confuzzled me. Just correct me if I'm wrong.

Onto the topic, what I just mentioned and those bands who overdo the whole corpse paint thing. I don't see the point in just going out performing like normal people. Oh, and the people who are idiots and give metal a bad name... Grrr... Just hate them so much.

umm the close-minded thing and the mixing harcore and metal were 2 separate things that bother me.
when hardcore and metal are mixed/confused, that bothers me.

when metalheads say that everything thats not metal is emo, that also really bothers me.

2 separate things.

R.I.P.'s:

- Syd Barrett
- Dimebag
- Chuck Schuldiner
- Cliff Burton
- Metallica
- SRV
- Jimi Hendrix

Quote by Useful_Idiot16
full baked i love how ur sig says R.I.P metallica lol.

Quote by FullBaked
umm the close-minded thing and the mixing harcore and metal were 2 separate things that bother me.
when hardcore and metal are mixed/confused, that bothers me.

when metalheads say that everything thats not metal is emo, that also really bothers me.

2 separate things.

Oh, sorry. I thought you were referring to them as the same things .
If you are reading this, you fail at life. Go cut yourself and save yourself more misery.

Quote by Antartica.
What do you think about Opeths soft singer, do you think they need that vocalist or is that wut makes them Opeth?
What annoys me most about metal is the fans.

I'm not really much of a metal fan, but I do like some of it. And whenever I ask a metal fan if they like a certain band, they're like "They're alright, not really heavy enough for me though."

It's as if they're saying that their music taste is far too extreme to ever be probed by someone who listens to anything other than death-metal.
i just think its weird how the genre of metal is based upon the lowest palm muted note on a guitar(wether it be E or D or B or watever). Metallica n pantera are as heavy as ill go, after that its just noise.

ps i h8 metal bands when all they do is scream nd bark nd grunt nd watever stupid sounds that will eventually destroy their vocal chords
(ie morbid angel)....but hey at least that means they wont be around long
Quote by Griswold
What annoys me most about metal is the fans.

I'm not really much of a metal fan, but I do like some of it. And whenever I ask a metal fan if they like a certain band, they're like "They're alright, not really heavy enough for me though."

It's as if they're saying that their music taste is far too extreme to ever be probed by someone who listens to anything other than death-metal.

yeah thats pretty silly. im a huge death metal fan but at the same time i love good ol priest and maiden. without them, there would be no death metal!

R.I.P.'s:

- Syd Barrett
- Dimebag
- Chuck Schuldiner
- Cliff Burton
- Metallica
- SRV
- Jimi Hendrix

Quote by Useful_Idiot16

Quote by rock_or_roll
i just think its weird how the genre of metal is based upon the lowest palm muted note on a guitar(wether it be E or D or B or watever). Metallica n pantera are as heavy as ill go, after that its just noise.

ps i h8 metal bands when all they do is scream nd bark nd grunt nd watever stupid sounds that will eventually destroy their vocal chords

ummm yeah.... thats called death metal, and death metal is a pretty large and important portion of metal... its what metal has evolved into, love it or hate it.

personally, i love it.

R.I.P.'s:

- Syd Barrett
- Dimebag
- Chuck Schuldiner
- Cliff Burton
- Metallica
- SRV
- Jimi Hendrix

Quote by Useful_Idiot16

Quote by FullBaked
ummm yeah.... thats called death metal, and death metal is a pretty large and important portion of metal... its what metal has evolved into, love it or hate it.

personally, i love it.

on the same token metal has evolved into many other things like metalcore, hardcore, grunge, progressive, etc. death metal isn't the be all and end all and it's kind of frustrating when some metal fans think that it is. that said there's nothin wrong with a bit of good quality death metal. i guess it's like anything, the genre is flooded with crap but the 20% that's being produced in it that is actually good is awesome.
Marty

hate it
Quote by suicidalmoose
on the same token metal has evolved into many other things like metalcore, hardcore, grunge, progressive, etc. death metal isn't the be all and end all and it's kind of frustrating when some metal fans think that it is. that said there's nothin wrong with a bit of good quality death metal. i guess it's like anything, the genre is flooded with crap but the 20% that's being produced in it that is actually good is awesome.

i never said that death metal was the only way it evolved. its just the major factor. andy by the way, metal did not evolve into hardcore!! GOD DAMN DIDNT YOU READ MY FIRST POST ON THIS THREAD??? well anyways hardcore evolved from punk. metalcore is a hybrid of metal and hardcore, 2 genres that i personally do not think should be put together. grunge, that evolved also from classic rock and punk, not just metal. progressive did not evolve from metal, its something that spurred from the psychadelic era, and sometimes its used in a metalic form, but its not originally from metal, unless you wanna call pink floyd metal.

R.I.P.'s:

- Syd Barrett
- Dimebag
- Chuck Schuldiner
- Cliff Burton
- Metallica
- SRV
- Jimi Hendrix

Quote by Useful_Idiot16

hate it

Get the **** out then.

Things i dont like about metal? Nu-metal of course.
Quote by FullBaked
i never said that death metal was the only way it evolved. its just the major factor. andy by the way, metal did not evolve into hardcore!! GOD DAMN DIDNT YOU READ MY FIRST POST ON THIS THREAD??? well anyways hardcore evolved from punk. metalcore is a hybrid of metal and hardcore, 2 genres that i personally do not think should be put together. grunge, that evolved also from classic rock and punk, not just metal. progressive did not evolve from metal, its something that spurred from the psychadelic era, and sometimes its used in a metalic form, but its not originally from metal, unless you wanna call pink floyd metal.

Hmm well then that documentary on metal was pretty wrong, although i did some research and it seemed pretty dead on. it said that a lot of punk music evolved from the agression that metal had and of course the powerchord abuse and distortion, however didn't contain solo's. so basically punk did evolve from metal, and also hardcore did evolve from metal too. perhaps metal didn't evolve into those genres but those genres definately did evolve from metal. essentially everythin evolved from rock with the same token.

even if you don't like hardcore bands you cannot deny that they belong somewhere on the metal subtree, i myself am not into hardcore one bit, i hate it, but just because i'm a metal fan doesn't mean i have to dismiss it as not metal simply because i don't follow it. Hardcore contains many elements that make metal metal, and obviously contains many elements that make it a genre in it's own right.
Marty
Quote by raysoh8
Get the **** out then.

Things i dont like about metal? Nu-metal of course.

thats dieing out though.

and leave the guy alone, you dont have to like death metal to be a metalhead. theres thrash metal, power metal, heavy metal, etc.

R.I.P.'s:

- Syd Barrett
- Dimebag
- Chuck Schuldiner
- Cliff Burton
- Metallica
- SRV
- Jimi Hendrix

Quote by Useful_Idiot16

Quote by suicidalmoose
Hmm well then that documentary on metal was pretty wrong, although i did some research and it seemed pretty dead on. it said that a lot of punk music evolved from the agression that metal had and of course the powerchord abuse and distortion, however didn't contain solo's. so basically punk did evolve from metal, and also hardcore did evolve from metal too. perhaps metal didn't evolve into those genres but those genres definately did evolve from metal. essentially everythin evolved from rock with the same token.

even if you don't like hardcore bands you cannot deny that they belong somewhere on the metal subtree, i myself am not into hardcore one bit, i hate it, but just because i'm a metal fan doesn't mean i have to dismiss it as not metal simply because i don't follow it. Hardcore contains many elements that make metal metal, and obviously contains many elements that make it a genre in it's own right.

wtf are you talking about?? punk didnt evolve from metal! metal evolved from punk (thrash/death metal that is)!!! i dont see the clash or the dead kennedys (to name the obvious) being influenced by priest maiden or any of that! and if your still gonna say that punk was influenced by metal, please be specific on what im missing here...

and by the way, im not saying hardcore doesnt belong in the "metal subtree" as you put it, but that they are not the same and that too often they are put together (unfortunately).

R.I.P.'s:

- Syd Barrett
- Dimebag
- Chuck Schuldiner
- Cliff Burton
- Metallica
- SRV
- Jimi Hendrix

Quote by Useful_Idiot16

In Death Metal I can take some of the screaming and giant burp sounding noises, but what I can not take is when a song starts out with a wonderful heavy riff and then the double bas drums come in at about a million miles per hour and repeat over and over for the rst of the song.
Quote by rock_or_roll

Yes, because Morbid Angel hasn't been around long

Growling rules. And I if you do it correctly, I don't think it will ruin your vocal chords. Just look at Akerfeldt (sp?).

And yes, when you have a guitar in B, it does sound sludgy if you use the low B the whole time. But if you utilize it a little more carefully, it can REALLY kick ass. So if you think that metal is based upon the lowest palm muted note, you haven't heard much.
Last edited by -Alek- at Aug 16, 2006,
I don't think there's anything I really dislike about metal. The only thing would probably be bands changing their sound to be more accessible, and ceasing to be metal altogether because of that.

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
The insistence on behalf of the metal fan that one must like the most underground bands to be "true".

"If someone else has heard this band, I cannot like it. I would like my band, but the other members have heard the music, so I don't like it. I listen to bands who never play live, and if they do play live, they have sold out. They may only record on a casio hend-held tape player, in the middle of a forest, at midnight, amongst the owls and the squirrels and the deer shit".

One may like bands such as Xasthur or Graveland, who are classed as metal, and is thus a person who listens to metal. However, if one were to also like Pantera and Arch Enemy, who are also metal, one would STILL be a person who listens to metal.
'Thine Eyes Bleed':

Quote by CSguitarvocal
More like... Thine Butthole Bleeds... from all the gay sex you have!!! Ahahaha!

Quote by Butt Rayge
Fuck off already, you fucking faggot fuck.

amidoinitrite?

Quote by DeAd-RiP
I don't care for slipknot unless I'm so drunk I don't care about anything.
I hate metal in its entirety.

*listens to Elton John*

n00bs....
Metal Matt reserves the right to be a hypocrite whenever he damn well pleases
Quote by DirgeForTheSun
We don't diss Elton here, do we?

We better damn well not.
Metal Matt reserves the right to be a hypocrite whenever he damn well pleases
I like some black metal music, but can't be bothered to do any research on the band for I might see a picture and my outlook on their music will be ruined
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
I dont like metal that is utterly dissonant and devoid of any point. Thankfully most metal isnt. I am talking about bands like anorexia nervosa who have been going around for a long tim enow producing mediocre death metal 9 which the world has plenty of right now with no desire to progress. But to carry on snarling away to rehashed slayer riffs and lightspeed and drum beats. For god sake people evolve
Quote by Malakian88
Oh my bloody god. Imagine if you were a girl and you woke up to find your little brother's friend standing over you with his erect penis on your breasts...

Indeed.
Quote by Metal Matt
We better damn well not.

Damn straight. Elton John > most of our souls.

I hate elitism in metal fans. The "Anything that isn't metal sucks!! w00000t!!1!1!!" attitude is absolutely pointless. This probably goes hand in hand with close-mindedness.

Quote by DirgeForTheSun
Metal Vs. Metalcore debates

if its not metal, just deal with it and leave me alone

The thing with metalcore is that all of the metalheads say it isn't metal and therefore must be hardcore. However, all the hardcore fans (not the retardxcore idiots that like Atreyu, but real hardcore fans) say it's not hardcore, and therefore must be metal. Which side you believe is totally up to you.
I believe that Metalcore is a form of Metal. But the reason we reject it is because of the idiocy and associated trendhopping fans that come with it. Which is a good thing cause seeing them here would drive me loopeh.

On Topic. Theres not much I dislike about Metal, except when particular artists lyrically portray their ideals with it.

What really grinds my gears though is when rubbish acts use the term Metal to play up their status, using it as a term that tries to earn them respect.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
Quote by Davidian
Metal woman.

Such sluts but yet never avaible.

+1.

I don't have any things that bug me about metal. Just the guys who spend ages on their 'look' whether that be a black metal 'look' or the emo guys who looked like they spent a good few hours on their hair and turn up at a death metal gig, but the get pissed off when someone bumps into them. What did they expect?

So naive people at metal shows getting annoyed at being bumped into even though they're standing right next to the mosh pit or at the front and wondering why people keep being thrown on top of them.

Oh I also hate when bands go 'we're re-inventing ourselves' and then make a crap album.... *cough*Satyricon*cough*
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o