Hey everybody

Most of this post is a copy paste from Maroon 5's official forum.

I don't have money to spend as of now, so i hope the gear i have can help me achieving the tone i want.

Have you guys watched Maroon 5 at the Rock AM Ring??
Everytime i watch "Shiver" and "Can't Stop" from the show, i can't stop thinking about how the hell Adam (The lead singer) has that tone.. i mean... it has a funky drive when he does rythm parts and all of a sudden when he's soloing it sounds like some high gain stuff... and he doesn't hit any pedals during the song..
The tone on those two songs are so cool.. and i have no idea how he got them.

Here's a link to their site where a live version of "Shiver" is being played. The sound i really like is. He uses a Gibson SG Les Paul Custom (i have the Epiphone version of the guitar) and he plays the rythm part in the verse and the chorus and then he plays the soloes, and he doesn't push any pedals during the song.
http://www.maroon5.com/main_site/main.html

Here's a link to the sound i really want!! (from the "Rectifier era" although he's using a Les Paul this time.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWRyK52Orbc

He used to use a BadCat Reverb amp, a TS-9 and a FullDrive 2, but on their last tour (which the song i linked to is taken from) he used a Mesa Rectifier.
Here's a link from the "BadCat era" with the TS-9 and Fulldrive 2, though it's a different song (i love this song, they always play great soloes in it, and on their latest tour he used the same tone in this song) I can pretty much get the his sound he has at this concert.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COodIBWGPJw

Do you think it's the Mesa amp in some weird configuration?? or maybe a Tubescreamer with a noise reducer? because i have seen a picture of a Maroon 5 pedal board with lots of digitech pedals (Tone Driver, Hot Rod and Metal Master) and a noise suppressor to lower the crunch? or is it a Tubescreamer through the Mesa??

I used my Tubescreamer on a 30w Marshall amp at my School and the tone was completely different from what my Fender amp. Does pedal's tone really change that much depending on what amp you use??

My gear is:
- Epiphone G-400 custom
- Fender Frontman 212R
- TS-9 Tubescreamer (Maroon 5 uses this pedal a lot, they use it with Drive - 7 Tone 7
- Dunlop Cry Baby (not used in the song)

My settings are
Treble - 7
Mid - 5
Bass - 6
Reverb - 3-5

i use my TS-9 for drive
Drive - 7
Tone - 7
Level - 5

The tone he has in "Shiver" is the tone i would very much like to have, so if you guys could help, i would be very greatful. I would be happy just for some settings.
Quote by Simto
it has a funky drive when he does rythm parts and all of a sudden when he's soloing it sounds like some high gain stuff... and he doesn't hit any pedals during the song..

OK just before this topic kicks off, there are people backstage hitting pedals for him so he can run around and play his guitar without having to worry. There's always guys backstage at this big concerts handling most of the equipment unless an artist has a particular preference and wants to adjust the effect themself, like say a wah pedal.
Marty
Quote by suicidalmoose
OK just before this topic kicks off, there are people backstage hitting pedals for him so he can run around and play his guitar without having to worry. There's always guys backstage at this big concerts handling most of the equipment unless an artist has a particular preference and wants to adjust the effect themself, like say a wah pedal.

Pffft..

If I were to become famous I would never do that (not that i have many pedals =P) I'd just stay in the spot when I'm using the pedals... Not saying your lying I'm just giving my opinion on that...
Yep Levine is just another rich plaboy !!
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Quote by Untitled001
Pffft..

If I were to become famous I would never do that (not that i have many pedals =P) I'd just stay in the spot when I'm using the pedals... Not saying your lying I'm just giving my opinion on that...
\

or when its time for your lead run across the stage, run over your pedal, and run over to the other side.
TEEP!!! Oiiiiiiieeeeeeeyyy!!!!!!
well idk much about maroon 5s gear, but i do know most funk style riffs come from technique, its alot of rythm
Yeah, i thought about the roadie type thing, but at the shows, you can see he hits some pedals in between songs.

Adam is a great guitarist, and if you've watched their live dvd you'd change your mind about him.
James Valentine (Lead Guitarist) is my 2nd most favourite guitarist and i can make the sounds he has. I just love the sound Adam has in this song.

And please, if you don't like Maroon 5, why did you even bother looking in this thread? please don't spam.
Quote by Simto
i can't stop thinking about how the hell Adam (The lead singer) has that tone.. i mean... it has a funky drive when he does rythm parts and all of a sudden when he's soloing it sounds like some high gain stuff... and he doesn't hit any pedals during the song..

Assuming he's really not hitting any pedals and doesn't have someone backstage changing his gain for him (which is the most likely) my best guess would be he is playing all the rhythm parts with the volume knob on his guitar rolled back about halfway and when it's time to solo he cranks the guitars volume so all the gain comes through instead of just some of it.
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
I'll try to get the perfomance i talked about uploaded somehow (i first need to get my brother to edit it out from a concert)

But yeah, he turns the knob for his middle pickup just before he soloes.. but when i do it, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference.. i don't know if it's my ears or my gear. or maybe i'm not doing it the right way.

If i turn my TS-9's drive down to around 3, a lot of the crunch is gone, and it sounds a teeny weeny bit like it, but when i start soloing there's not nearly enough drive.
Quote by Simto
I'll try to get the perfomance i talked about uploaded somehow (i first need to get my brother to edit it out from a concert)

But yeah, he turns the knob for his middle pickup just before he soloes.. but when i do it, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference.. i don't know if it's my ears or my gear. or maybe i'm not doing it the right way.

If i turn my TS-9's drive down to around 3, a lot of the crunch is gone, and it sounds a teeny weeny bit like it, but when i start soloing there's not nearly enough drive.

If you want pickup changes to sound more dramatic raise your soloing pickup and lower your rythm pickup to create an output difference when the switch takes place.

guys i keep telling you, just because he's not pressing a pedal doesn't mean a pedal isn't being activated backstage by the roadies. it's common practice. Of course changing pickups can only be performed by the player themself but effects are almost always applied backstage so that the performer can get on with teh show and if something goes wrong they can sort it out backstage.
Marty
he's also playing through an all-tube amp...so he probably has it set just before the volume where it starts to break up w/ the volume know turned down on the PU...so when he rolls the volume up he starts to get some nice break up. on a solid state amp, changing your PU volume is mainly just going to change the volume, not really affect the gain.