I wasn't quite sure where to put this so don't flame me because i'm not in the drum forum, because there isn't one! Plus Musician Talk indicates a level of muilt-instrumentism as aposed to guitarist talk.

Anyway, what snares are better deep ones or or thin ones?

What's the difference, as in how does it affect the sound?

Thanks.

Bodacious Bob

Schecter Omen 7 Extreme
Ibanez RGR08LTD BK
Behringer TU-100
EHX Metal Muff
Boss MT-2
GLX EQ-100
Marshall VS15

Quote by tpot06
Bodacious bob wins all.
there is quite a wide range of sounds and tone you can get out of a snare drum...

let me say first off, the BEST thing to do is go to a drum shop, and ask the salesperson to play 4-5 different drums for you, and describe the sounds he hears to you.

here is my take: good sound is all in your own personal opinion. It depends on what you want. A piccolo snare, which is only 3-4 inches deep will produce a huge crack and higher pitch. But a more traditional 5 inch depth snare can produce a deeper, more bass-like tone. A piccolo is great, but a 5 inch depth can give you RANGE and CHOICES in your tuning!! I had a piccolo, and wished for the ability to vary my tone and range of sound moreso. You can get great sound out of a piccolo though, if that is what you like.

What kind of material (wood, brass, steel) the shell is made out of will produce different types of tone. (ask a drum store salesman) drum shell thickness will greatly affect tone as well. Snares that they use in Marching Bands are thick as hell, and really deep. Ask the drum salesman about those two factors, and how they affect the sound. get him to demonstrate on 2 drums with a thin shell, and another with a thick shell. This is important for you when deciding on what kind of snare to buy.

Also, how tight or loose you tune up the "heads" of the drum (both bottom and top heads) will create different flavors, and tone. A punchier, bass-like tone could be achieved by loosening both the top and bottom head. But if you want a real high pitched ringing type sound, tighten the top head, and loosen the bottom head.

Last point-- i advise you to save up and spend good money on a good snare. If you can, wait 2 more months, save up jsut a little more money so you can buy a better drum. The cheaper snares work, but there is an ENORMOUS difference in quality of the sound with the more money you invest in a snare. Go to a drum store and hit snares for a 1/2 hr, and play on junk drums, then play on high quality drums. ask the drum clerk to point out the exact differences and what he likes in certain drums.

Another thing you really should do is start paying attention to all the different sounds your favorite bands use on their snares... Off the top of my head, I really like Carter Beauford's tone, and also really like Travis Barker (Blink 182) tone. but that is just me. Every song you hear on the radio, try and figure out if you like that sound or not, and judge it on these things:

1. is there a lot of "crack" and "attack" in the sound? Maybe not?
2. is there a ringing sound (metal or brass material)?
3. is there a richer, warmer, "organic" tone? (wood snare perhaps?)
4. is there 2-3 different tones in that snare sound? Can you hear "layers" in the sound, rather than a simple thud or crack?

another important thing: find a snare drum that has SENSITIVITY in the top head. Good drums will pick up the slightest vibration from your stick, and will give you the ability to "ghost note" on the drum, which you will eventually start doing. You can ghost note on any snare, but with a drum with good sensitivity on the top head, it will sound like an awesome "buzzing" noise that you will come to appreciate. Those 100 dollar metal snares have junker components that make it hard to get that good ghost noting ability. Good components mean: your drum heads, material of the shell, THICKNESS OF THE SHELL, and quality or TYPE of wire snare spring on the bottom of the drum.

good luck. What sounds good to you may not sound good to me. It is all personal preference.
Cheers, that helped. I'm not buying a new snare it's just that i'm buying an old drum kit of a friend as a bit of a clean up and fix project and it has two snares a thin one and a deep one. I was going to custom paint one and sell it on eBay to fund the project and i was just wondering which one to keep.

Bodacious Bob

Schecter Omen 7 Extreme
Ibanez RGR08LTD BK
Behringer TU-100
EHX Metal Muff
Boss MT-2
GLX EQ-100
Marshall VS15

Quote by tpot06
Bodacious bob wins all.