I'm about to buy a Line 6 Toneport UX2 but after finding out the ableton Live Lite recording software you get with it is only a demo version i need another software to sue with the Toneport.
Any suggestion as to what i should get? It needs to be something i can get free off the net or limewire etc.
live lite isn't that good its very confusing I had it and I couldn't even figure out how to use another track. I use Magix now I recommend it
Gibson LesPaul Standard 1958 Custom Shop
Fender Stratocaster 70s Reissue
Charvel-Jackson Vintage Acoustic
Vox ac30
on the off chance you have a mac garageband is easy to use, and you can get good results, but its pretty basic.
if everything had a point you'd have to be really careful of pointy things
Cubase should be good and so should Pro Tools. Im using Ableton Live Lite and it works fine for me, although you can only have four audio tracks at a time and only record two tracks at a time. There's also limits on effects and midi.
Nothing you get for free will be too great. You can get a really basic version of ProTools off digidesign's site (I think around version5, so nothing flashy at all) and Steinberg might do the same with an old version of Cubase but I'm not sure.

Fact of the matter is, all free recording software sucks. You need to wither shell out some cash or get some pirating happening. I've used Audacity, Garageband, Reason, Logic, Cakewalk, Cubase and of course ProTools as a producer/engineer and personally, these days I use ProTools for Audio, Logic for MIDI. ProTools is simply the best audio editing software out there, even ProTools LE with an MBox is great for fine editing (good luck affording tools TDM). Working as a producer/engineer I don't use anything else.
Lord Jesus and Weybl Himself have got the right idea. Cubase and Pro-Tools are regarded as the best software for recording, but they cost an exsesive amount of money (upwards of £700 for cubase and more than £1000 for pro-tools i believe).

There is some good stuff out there, but it all depends on how much money you have.

Ash
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH