Page 1 of 16
So you want to write song lyrics, or poetry, or prose, or a letter to Santa Claus?

Ask any questions about getting started, writing the actual lyrics, revising a piece, chosing a subject etc etc in this special thread here" or something... pad it out a bit as well. It's a question, it regards writing, it belongs here, be it the underlying themes of your favourite bands lyrics, or you want to know what techniques your most inspiring poet uses.
Perhaps you have a question about the writing of lyrics, from your first piece, to your latest epic, or even *dare I say* you want to learn how to critique in a professional manner, then ask away.

For your ease of use, included here is an outline of what the Lyrics Tips Thread essentially covers, (located where you found this) If your question is covered within the articles featured in the Lyrics Tips then just click this link below.

If you're going to ask about whether you should write Lyrics or Music first, the question is answered in the LYRICS TIPS THREAD!

>>Lyrics Tips Thread<<

Why Write?

Writers block - Inspiration - and how to get it.

Rhyming - Varying schemes

Acheiving flow - Meter - Syllable counts

Definitions of Poetic devices

Cliches - And ways of avoiding them

Lyrics or Music first - Melody writing

Different Structures - Sonnets

Catering for your Genre - Emo - Rock - Punk - Metal

Revising your work - Adding the extra spice

F.A.Q's

Keeping focused on one piece - 2 answers (THW/SYNTH) PG.1

The S&L mod crew.
Last edited by The Hurt Within at Nov 22, 2006,
ok so i have a tune for a good chorus for lyrics but i dunno what to do for the verse can someone help me out or give me tips on what they do when writing a song?
Quote by gaze182
ok so i have a tune for a good chorus for lyrics but i dunno what to do for the verse can someone help me out or give me tips on what they do when writing a song?

Could you phrase that differently? I'm confused about what you're asking.

Are you saying you have a melody written for the chorus with lyrics, but you don't have lyrics for the verses?

P.S. I love you Pooch. A letter to Santa Claus. hahaha. I'm rooting for you in the Grand Championship.
I have been trying to write lyrics to one of my depressing songs, but it's not easy to fit them in. I think that it's easier to try to write lyrics right off the spot while i'm just playing the riff. Is that the same for anyone else?
I find it's much easier to write lyrics before the music, that way you're fitting the chords and melodies round the lyrics rathr than the reverse.
Question time: I am currently writing a number of short stories at the moment. The one I am paying particular attention to is the most recent one I've begun. It entails what I have written about in Birdcage Walk (see sig). From what's been said of it so far, the meaning behind it is a bit difficult to understand, but that's not why I am rambling on and on and going in an uncertain direction/misleading you into thinking I'm going to be asking about the story. What I'm about to ask has little relevance about what I've just said so if you read all that and read the question to follow, I apologise for misleading you. The question is this, is there a way to keep my mind focused on one particular story before becoming pretty much fed up of writing it and therefore inadvertantly starting another?
Haha wtf was with that build up

[Edit]: And, uh, yeah, I don't know the answer to that question. I'm pretty guilty of doing that kind of thing myself. I'm pretty happy-go-lucky in my writing...
ρ
Last edited by scousertommy at Aug 16, 2006,
No idea. I'm in a rambling mood so I figured I'd just go on and on about my stories and lead you down the wrong road before you're met by Satan who demands your soul, but he'll give you a chance if you do one thing for him, which is to preach to the wrold that God doesn't exist and he's just a big pack of lies and his beard is infested with lice and he is a big poo-poo head.
heres my simple answer to your question: if you are automatically moving onto a different story then the first one wasnt worth your time or energy to continue, its the natural process of creativity, let it flow, cause if you dont then the story will probably just sound hal-assed and fake. Solution? just wait until your interested in the story again and write on it, its as simple as that.

The answer to this question also depends on your views on writers block, if you think that you should write through writers block then its more likely that you will want to continue the story, if you wait for the block to pass then you are more likely to continue moving onto new stories... that made no sense, meh, take it as you want.

And this question thread is rather turning into a chat thread, we should probably limit that as much as possible
Can i just add one thing i do wanna write out what the lyrics tips thread covers, and have it stuck at the top here, just for reference, because I dont want this turning into a spam fest.

So i take it you want me to write it? And you stick it up, is that ok?

And to actually answer the most relevant question, I dont see this as Synth does, I mean how would a writer fare then if they decide they dont wanna continue with it, the problem you have is that you're not interested in the story enough to continue it, so why should someone reading it be interested. If you are writing on a grander scale you need a chapter set-up, know what you want to cover essentially from each chapter/story and then follow where ever your creative mood takes you. If you're bored of a particular part of the story move on and write other areas. Take the TV series LOST they have an ending and are just amusing themselves on how to get there. It doesn't directly cover your question but enough to be relevant.
Filth, pure filth... That's what you are.
Last edited by The Hurt Within at Aug 16, 2006,
No, I actually agree with you completely, that was the primary point I was attempting to make, if you dont honestly care about the piece to stick with it then theres no point in continueing it. The rest of what I was saying was mostly revolving around the fact that if you feel that you must finish the story, like your so 'pot stuck' in the plot that you cant bear not finish it, than you should probably just chill and wait for inspiration to strike again.

The whole writers block thing was just a comparison that really went nowhere, sorry for the confusion.

Can we just let Steve make the thread how he imagined it (as in, let him make a new thread)? I figure that would be easier than for him to work around what has already been mildly tarnished here... just a thought. No offense to you though Pooch, cheers for putting this up so fast!
I'm in a writers block thats been going on for about a month now, wtf do i do to help this go away?
I've written like 3-4 songs but their not as good as the others before my block.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Taken from the Lyrics Tips Thread:

It's not a nice thing, but everyone has been there, you feel empty it seems you'll never write a good song again, your ideas are insipid and your descriptions are bland, but have no fear, persevere with it, here is the time to just write.....write anything...(no other time do this mind).
You have to continue to write as though you were full of ideas, soon enough you'll hit upon something and you'll be on your way again, blocks can last as long as they have to, but during a block is a time to expand your knowledge.....read, listen to a new band, and soon you'll get inspired.
i've decided to try and start writing lyrics, i seem to be pretty good at poetry. my problem is my poetry is no where close to musical, so i was wondering what is easier to do write lyrics then the song or the other way around. if they're is no one great way what are the pros. and sons. of both? like i said i've never tried anything like this before so any advice is welcomed thanks in advance
taken directly from the Lyrics tips thread:

Quote by Lyrics Tips Thread
Try it both ways, write a few chords down, find a rhythm and then hum along to the tune, and repeat it over and over then just sing whatever comes into your head, it will fit, and will most likely be ****e, but in doing so you have a basis for the number of syllables per line...then you just edit it, change them or write the lyrics to fit the syllable count.

The alternative is writing the lyrics first, and then adapting the tune around them, this takes a little more skill and you must have a gd ear for what works and what doesn't...often though this can make for more alternative sounds...the chords often end up being randomly thrown in and finding a rhythm is hard, so you often dont find one at all, you end up with a juttery rhythm which can sound cool if it works...so just experiment and find what suits YOU best.

You just have to decide if you want to be more musically oriented, or to have really strong lyrics. I think to be recognized as a great lyricist, you have to start with the lyrics. I think to be like a pop-punk band or something else really catchy, music should come first.

It just depends what your goal is really. A fusion of both is really hard to achieve. Most bands recognized for excelling at both didn't when they first started, like take AFI or Death Cab For Cutie as examples.
Ok i have a question. I wrote about 4 songs that I'm happy with. And now I'm full of inspiration but when i go to write i think my songs are terrible. And I thought writing the music would be easy but I've been having a lot of trouble with that. So basically I have all this inspiration but I can't say what I'm trying to say. Would this be like a writer's? Because I know what i want to say but I don't know how to say it. (I know it's very confusing)
That all depends on what type of writer you are. Theres lots of people that just state what they want to say. Ive even done that in my prose just put a lil backing story behind it. If you want to write metaphorically, just kind of think about it. What can represent what your trying to say and apply it to a poem/song.
Quote by private
Ok i have a question. I wrote about 4 songs that I'm happy with. And now I'm full of inspiration but when i go to write i think my songs are terrible. And I thought writing the music would be easy but I've been having a lot of trouble with that. So basically I have all this inspiration but I can't say what I'm trying to say. Would this be like a writer's? Because I know what i want to say but I don't know how to say it. (I know it's very confusing)

That's been my problem of late.

My advice: Try writing something without that inspiration. haha. It's the simplist way.
Quote by private
I don't get it how's that supposed to help?

Don't use whatever inspiration you have. Go off in a different direction and try something new. I believe that's basically what he meant.
if you hate what you are writing dont continue writing on that paticular piece, use that drive you have to write, take another prompt and start something new that wasnt introduced via the inspiration you had {I just made it more confusing didnt I?}
Okay, does writers block exist, or do writers write when they feel like writing?

Because at the moment, I think I am in a block with my songwriting. My cure so far is to just wait until an Idea I like comes along, but I haven't wrote a song in a while. Which is worrying, because I'm mainly a songwriter. It's funny though, because I can still write prose/poetry whilst I'm in this songwriting block.

So, is it easier to slip into a block for songwriting than poetry/prose? And is what I'm doing a good way to combat it, or should I still be attempting to write songs, and go and produce several mediocore pieces, even though I'm still writing other stuff?

Any thoughts are much appreciated. And yes, I've read the lyrics tips, but I'd just like some more input on this one, the questions are there.
I think it's jstu a dry period and even if you attempt to write pieces you won't be satisfied or they will suck. i think it jsut comes out and you get out of the block and nothing you cna do will speed it up. or you can try writing in a new format. Or converting a prose piece into a song. But i think you can try and try and try, but no matter what you won't put out a good piece until the block/dry spell or whatever is just over.
Can you see in the dark? Can you see the look on your face?
I don't think you can think you're in a writing block until after it's over, because you don't know when you're next song or whatever will be, but they do exist, just always in the past tense. If you think you're at a stage where you think nothing will come to you, write randomly, doesn't matter what it's about, just write. Eventually you'll be struck with an idea and you'll go on with it.

It's probably easier (in my experience) to suffer a block when songwriting because the language you can apply to songwriting is limited compared to what can be acheived with poetry or story writing.
Well when you write the chord progressions first yeah you're more likely to go with whats been done, regular 4/4 progressions etc, its only natural. But by fitting them to lyrics you're more inclined to be accomodating to the lyrics, and thus it may be the same chord progression but it wont sound like any others because its unique to that set of lyrics.
I always fit the music around the lyrics, beacuse to me, the lyrics are far more important.
Filth, pure filth... That's what you are.
Just like to say I completely concur with Steve, and so do musicians and poets like Leonard Cohen and Bob Dylan, who were quite good, to put it mildly.
Quote by Jammydude44
Okay, does writers block exist, or do writers write when they feel like writing?

Because at the moment, I think I am in a block with my songwriting. My cure so far is to just wait until an Idea I like comes along, but I haven't wrote a song in a while. Which is worrying, because I'm mainly a songwriter. It's funny though, because I can still write prose/poetry whilst I'm in this songwriting block.

So, is it easier to slip into a block for songwriting than poetry/prose? And is what I'm doing a good way to combat it, or should I still be attempting to write songs, and go and produce several mediocore pieces, even though I'm still writing other stuff?

Any thoughts are much appreciated. And yes, I've read the lyrics tips, but I'd just like some more input on this one, the questions are there.

I'm in the same thing, so I just said "**** it" and started hanging out, working, and writing prose and stories. It will leave, don't worry. But keep writing in some way, in the right style and wording and everything. Maybe even try some new kind of things too. (Ex. My newest prose, each verse contains only 50 syllables. I thought that would be fun. It worked easily too until the last one. haha.)
did any of the older writers here ever feel like quitting writing forever? If so why, if not, why not.

I'm at a crossroads, my stuff is good, I know that, its interesting, sure, but theres no reason to do it anymore and really there never was...

anyway, please answer the first question
So far I've never feeled like quitting writing, mainly because it's one of the major things I like to do. If I stopped writing I have no idea what I'd do. Writing is a great way of relieving stress and if you're that immersed, it can make you fell that much better.
Quote by #1 synth
did any of the older writers here ever feel like quitting writing forever? If so why, if not, why not.

I'm at a crossroads, my stuff is good, I know that, its interesting, sure, but theres no reason to do it anymore and really there never was...

anyway, please answer the first question

There are times when I thought about it, because I thought I was no good anymore, and figured I'd quit while I was ahead.

Then I realized, "Why should I stop writing? I never did it for praise from people, I did it for myself. The praise was nice, but even when it stops, what does it matter? There's no reason you can't still write." So here I am. Probably better than ever.
Ok Say you have some Riffs and stuff and then u magically get a chours a verse and all that. Most people have said to me is once u have all that you then right lyrics that rhyme with each other.

I know this is not the way (allways) most people right about there feeling's or what ever is on there mind.

How do you go about writing lyric's for ur own songs? or just writing period?