So I was called up to play bass for a band, never played though. I've played guitar for close to three years now though, so I have some knowledge. Never actually picked up the bass. Enough rambling. Should I learn techniques first? Or what's most important first of all to learn on bass, keeping a good beat, learning songs to develop that. You guys are the bass experts. Educate the n00blet.
I'm a social drinker. When someone says "I'll have a drink." I say "So shall I!"
Learn how to fret notes so they dont rattle- that is the thing i have most difficulty when i play bass (im a guitarist). ALso, learn to play with your fingers, because if you use a pick, it will throw you off because you are used to the string spacing on the guitar. IMO, using your fingers is the right way to play bass.
^ Me either.

You can try just playing the top string (low e) of guitar chords on your bass. If that makes sense. It works for me.
Quote by MTVget0FFtheAIR

"ur a fag if you don't pronounce the lightning bolt in ac/dc"

touche. who wuzzit?

Quote by lookie here
OMG! smile_man, that was amazing.
if u have played guitar for 3 years, hopefull you know the theory, at least a little, and you can improvise a lot....second you should have the fretboard memorized, and a good deal of scales so just play really....and bare hands is the way to go.

just pick up the base and fool around with it, and u'll be fine. transition is fairly easy.
Yes, I know the theory thanks.

However, one remaining question about technique. Should I rest the thumb above the top pickup? Or somewhere? Or should my hand be floating? I just need picking hand help. Is it right if I have a thumb rested on the pickup and after every stroke I rest the finger on the string above it? I.E. I plucked the G with my index, it would rest on the D?
I'm a social drinker. When someone says "I'll have a drink." I say "So shall I!"
yeah, i rest my thumb on my pickup most of the time. but i'f i'm playing the G string, i rest my thumb on the A string.
Member 3 of Geddy Lee Fan Club. PM timmEH or RIC4003 to join

Member of Bass militia. PM Dinkydaisy to join

Cliff Burton is my idol. R.I.P

MegaBassPlayer's band of the week: Bound For Glory
I think you're meant to rest your hand on the one above the one you're playing. That's what my bro's bass teacher says, and he's pretty good. I rest my hand on the pickup when I play though... I think it's down to personal preference really. John Entwistle from The Who played resting his fingers on the neck, and he played pretty damn good.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Quote by Strat_Monkey
I think you're meant to rest your hand on the one above the one you're playing. That's what my bro's bass teacher says, and he's pretty good. I rest my hand on the pickup when I play though... I think it's down to personal preference really. John Entwistle from The Who played resting his fingers on the neck, and he played pretty damn good.

Most people say rest fingers on the pickups. I find it more comfortable to rest my finger on the E string... but that may limit my speed , if switching between A,D or G to E, since I'd have to move my thumb. So I stick with resting my finger on my pickup.

Don't use a pick either. You have a lot more options with fingerstyle, anyways, you already know how to use a pick.

Umm, I don't think theres anything else that hasn't really said.
Make sure you're good with the drummer, and you'll be fine.
Schecterman's Accomplice, of the Schecter Stiletto Players Will Rule The World Club. PM Fett13 or Your41Plague12 to join.

EQ:
Schecter Stiletto Extreme 5
Yamaha RBX170
I rest my thumb on the pickup (jazz basser) and also I do the thing you suggested, hit a string and let it rest on the next string (hit G then let it push into the D string).

EDIT:Also when first icking make sure you don't smack the strings down otherwise you get a buzz and don't really pull the strings up or you'll get a thin sound.
the way I hold your hand has to do with the way I am playing.

When I use 3 fingers I rest my thumb on the string below the one I'm picking (Finger G, Thumb D)

When I use two I rest on Pickup, Base of the neck, or E-string (depending on the bass, style of music, or various other things.)

EDIT: I meant "rest my hand". Don't worry, i won't be holding your hands when you play. That would be messed up.
Member #4 of The Geddy Lee Fan Club
PM RIC4003 or timmEH to join
Last edited by GeddyFleaHan at Aug 16, 2006,
rest on the e it's so much easier and comfortable. then wen you play e just let yr hand float.
MEMBER 6 OF I <3 Online Putt Putt Group
Puttsecks?
Quote by DoTheEvolution
I like peni better. It sounds funnier.
"a group of naked guys jumped me, I have never seen so much peni ."
he likes peni

Captain of the Rage Against the Myspace Club. PM Bloody Mary to enlist.
I rest my hand on the body of the bass and my thumb on the pickup. I'm gonna try switchng to the neck to see how that feels.

Anyway, when you first start trying to learn the songs, stick to the root notes. When you start tog et a better feel, then start adding stuff to the basslines.
Hand position is personal preference in my opinion - it's all situational (type of bass, type of music, etc...). Being a jazz bass user, I tend to alternate between above neck pickup and free-floating hand positions most of the time. Remember that depending on where you pluck/pick the strings (closer to bridge or neck, etc...) can result in a different kind of tone. Just mess around with it and do what works for you.