Im buying a new guitar on Friday via mail order (ESP LTD EC-1000), Im not 100% certain wether i wanna get one with EMG's or Duncans.

Ive owned 2 EMG guitars in ther past and have played extensively on a gibson with stock pickups but never Duncans specifically.

I play metal but i also like to strum and fingerpick, also i enjoy clean arpeggios too. I like EMG's but am wondering if Duncans are better all rounders, better for cleans maybe? It is the JB/59 set. How do they hold up against EMG's for meaty rhythm? I know players like Dave Mustaine, Matt and Corey Trivium, Michael Amott etc use them...

In your humble opinions, what are the pros and cons of both?
Quote by azn_guitarist25
what amp do you use? cos that will determine whether emgs will sound like **** or not

+1
As I see the ignorance of humanity engulfing reason and sanity like a wave of perpetual defeat and misery I ask myself, when the hell is everyone going to shut up and actually think?
I am using a Marshall AVT100 combo and a Marshall AVT half stack, but i am upgrding to an ENGL screamer 50 in a month or 2.

I used to own this guitar with Emg's before but i just wanna know if Duncans are better all rounders.
I have a seymour duncan invader on my ibanez rg7321 and it plays alright clean, but if you really want the crackle sound while playing clean go for emg81-85. I really dont like the jb since im more of a high-output freak, but from what i hear it has a good clear sound.
No no no no. the 85s cleans suck.

if your going EMG get the 81/60 the 60 has amazing cleans, however your going to have crappy tone with that amp untill you upgrade
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
There is many different seymour duncan and emgs out there. The only real difference is one uses a battery (emg) and seymour duncan usually doesn't. I have had good luck with both. Your going to have to go to each pickup website and do some research to find the pickup that fits your needs.

http://www.emginc.com/index.asp
http://www.seymourduncan.com/index.shtml

Both sites have great support sections.