so i've been playing for about 1 year and i still really haven't been soloing.
how long until i should start?
anytime. if youre playing a year i think it is definatley about time to start now.
member number 14 of the UG John frusciante fan club

Founder of the 'the John Frusciante ****ing sucks!Club!" sucks, club!
u should of already started with easy stuff like "smells like teens spirit" and stupid little solos like that. then start working ur way into harder stuff but take it slow and learn things that are phrased well wiht not to many fast parts like metallicas "one" intro solo
i've been playing for a little more than a year, and i'm just starting to solo. it just takes a lot of practice to get good
This is how you keep a blonde busy for hours!
Click Here

Quote by gsr2k6
My gf tryed to click your sig link and then asked me why it wouldnt work .

Oh.. wait....
It depends what pace you learn at. maybe you should. ive been playing around a year and I just improvise to whatever im listening to. If you want to learn a real solo try green day solos. THEY EASY!
Quote by Rockford_rocks
HENDRIX WAS NOT MEANT TO GO WOOBLYWOOBLYWOOBLYWOOBLY!

Quote by el_strato
i've been playing for a little more than a year, and i'm just starting to solo. it just takes a lot of practice to get good

^^ truth.

Soloing requires more than knowing which notes to fret. Phrasing is huge, as well as timing and the tone from your finger tips. Having a solo sound good with song takes years of practice, because alot of people just play mindless solos.

Start with something small, and make sure you can play it over the music. Thats one thing alot of people dont do. They look at the tab, and listen to the song, but if you had to play it over a backing track, theyd be screwed.
Last edited by MySweetFracture at Aug 16, 2006,
About 10 months.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
4 months i think or 3
Quote by unplugtheradio

i dub thee, Knight of Asskickery.

that is amazing

Quote by human-blasphamy
i like my nether regions shaved down till there soft as a babys ass. Cause thats where there going.

The Day Cas Pwnd UG.
Quote by Alreddyded
0mgz Br00tal Gh0st!11!11
well i got my first trick when i was 16, but some fellas just start late, lol, i started soloing to the Beatles and CCR and it got easier afterwards...
Mindless emotional solos? How does that work? It took me about 6 months.

Originally posted by rich_sg:

Why does your dad have an iPod? Old people aren't cool enough to own them

Quote by pigeonkicker
4 months i think or 3

Yeah but how good are they?

The question is, how long before you get "good" at soloing and can improvise/ write your own solos.
Its never to early at least attempt something, solos from song liek whiskey in the jar, sultans of swing were among the first things i ever learnt i just jumped right in at the deap end it ook a lot of practice and they were very slow at first but in time i got better at them. there no set time in wen to do things, remember there are no rules or time limets when it comes to playing do what you want to do solo when u feel you can and above al enjoy yourslef ..

Yours

Carl martin ..
I've only recently begun starting to improv solo as well and I've been playing guitar for eight months now. I can only really solo to a half-decent extent in A Minor Pentatonic. I've been working on keeping good time and feel a lot lately.

I'm sure that if I ried I could work some solos in other keys, but A Minor is my friend.
I started a few months in, simple stuff. The more theory I learn the better my improvising
Quote by boboguitar
It depends what pace you learn at. maybe you should. ive been playing around a year and I just improvise to whatever im listening to. If you want to learn a real solo try green day solos. THEY EASY!

those may be called solos, but compared to songs like stillborn and cowboys from hell, they arent
Quote by Joey Walker
Quote by anaoshak
look at all those knobs, he must have a mean tone.

Bottle caps buddy, they are bottle caps

Quote by Shib
The internet: Men are men, women are men and little girls are FBI agents.
Quote by lost in 3 words
so i've been playing for about 1 year and i still really haven't been soloing.
how long until i should start?

Whenever you want really. As long as you can pick through your minor pentatonic scale at a decent click with few to no errors you can begin. It's a long road, but don't be hesitant to start now. I think I started 4 or 5 months in, but thats because my teacher basicly through me in the water and made me teach myself how to swim. You're not behind the game by anymeans I believe.
i started improving during my 4th or 5th month...when i first learned the pentatonics

now im playing some metallica solos...cus i just now started to get into soloing and stuff...ive been playing 10 months
Quote by MySweetFracture
Yeah but how good are they?

The question is, how long before you get "good" at soloing and can improvise/ write your own solos.

I guess it depends on what your personal idea of "good" is.

I've been playing for well over 25 years and still don't consider myself good. That's not to discourage you. I have friends who learned a lot faster, and who are a lot better than I am.

I think it's a constant struggle to reach where you personally want to be, but the fun part is getting there.
only been playing for like 6 months but i started out with solos that i could play back in my head alot like guns n roses and santana isnt that hard