I just started playing about a month ago, and everything I've done i learned via the internet. This was probably not the best way to go about doing things, because now i find myself in a position that i don't want to be in. I don't know what the best way for me to progress, and it is certainly not Tabs because I absolutely hate Power Chords. I can't transition between them fast enough, and overall i think they are dumb.... It seems that all of the "easy" tabs use them, and the harder ones (i.e. any type of heavy metal [which is what I aim to play]) don't use them, but are just too hard and fast for me to learn. Please, any ideas on how to increase my level of play?
Stop being stupid. You hate powerchords but want to play metal? I'd re-think that if I were you. There are a million easy songs with no powerchords in them. Nothing Else Matters, for example. If you can't even change between powerchords fast enough then you aren't ready to move on to lead, or open chords, or barre chords, so stop whining and try and learn properly.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
seconded

That one last shot's a Permanent Vacation
And how high can you fly with broken wings?
Life's a journey not a destination
And I just can't tell just what tomorrow brings

For info how to join the team PM Bombtrack
with other words, just get used to playing power chords, Green Day songs are a good practice for these if you just started(and if you're playing a few months)
Quote by Strat_Monkey
Stop being stupid. You hate powerchords but want to play metal? I'd re-think that if I were you. There are a million easy songs with no powerchords in them. Nothing Else Matters, for example. If you can't even change between powerchords fast enough then you aren't ready to move on to lead, or open chords, or barre chords, so stop whining and try and learn properly.

i 3rd that opinion. if you want to play anything remotely fast, then powerchords are the way to do it. if you dont want to play powerchords, but still play metal, then i suggest one of two things: get a bass, or get drums.
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey Valveking 112
Line 6 über-Metal Pedal

Quote by pwrmax
All you care about is looks? No wonder you have it hard.

Quote by srvflood
You can't have sex with her personality.
O.K here is what to do when getting started i did it, and id say i did an good job of it

Learn power chords all over the fret board without messing up

learn open chords like the main 7: C A G E D Em Am F

Play around with the chords and make little things up

The start learning scales a couple say The A minoir Pentatonic and some blues

Start learning easy songs like Enter the sandman, excluding the solo, learn some simple ones

If you dont learrn the basics you wont be able to do the hard stuff, youve onlyu been playing a month dont expect to be able to play hard metal stuff, build yourself up

Here are some good songs to start

Blue Orchard
Smells like teen spirit (as common as it is)
Back in black
Highway to hell
Audioslave - Doesnt remind me (this will help chords)
Nothing else matters
Entersandman until solo, mmainly main riff
Should i stay or should i go
Seek And Destroy

Mostly just perservere at first you wont notice your progress but just keep going, the fun bit happens after about 6 months
^Yeah, listen to this guy. He's like me, only less angry.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Well.... thank you for flaming me and thanks to Krieg Commando with the only constructive response.

So it seems that I'm going to have to learn to play powerchords....
^You didn't ask for nice advice, you just asked for advice.

Quote by Krieg Commando
Damn Right Strat_Monkey, You're The Bomb.

Thanks man, same to you. And I Like Your Use Of Capital Letters. Makes me feel big