well i have the chance of getting an old amp, pre 1970's, i dont even know the brand, but it's a 4X12 cab and a amp that i know only has two clean channels, and the cab and amp go together. Im paying next to nothing for it so im definatly getting it, it's tube. Im wondering if i can hook up pedals and then be ok with the distortion, and not blow out the speakers. I had a older guy say distortion destroys speakers if the amp is made for cleans only, but my friend has a Carvin acoustic stack and runs the line 6 distortion pedal and it sounds great and he's had no problems with it.

i just want to make sure it's not going to blow out my cab speakers, because if it will i'll just save that amp for whenever i play cleans. I plan on getting a vox ad100vt for christmas, and id probibally run that through the cab if everything works out as planned. I just want to make sure im not going to kill the speakers in the cab with distortion
i wouldnt. most of the old amps like that wont take a pedal they will just give you the worst feedback you'll ever hear. at least thats what a couple of mine do you can try it but just be careful.
I just wouldn't go to overboard with insane distortion at ridiculous volumes. It should be fine as long as you treat in nicely.

Bodacious Bob

Schecter Omen 7 Extreme
Ibanez RGR08LTD BK
Behringer TU-100
EHX Metal Muff
Boss MT-2
GLX EQ-100
Marshall VS15

Quote by tpot06
Bodacious bob wins all.
Quote by pacoasterrider
well i have the chance of getting an old amp, pre 1970's, i dont even know the brand, but it's a 4X12 cab and a amp that i know only has two clean channels, and the cab and amp go together. Im paying next to nothing for it so im definatly getting it, it's tube. Im wondering if i can hook up pedals and then be ok with the distortion, and not blow out the speakers. I had a older guy say distortion destroys speakers if the amp is made for cleans only, but my friend has a Carvin acoustic stack and runs the line 6 distortion pedal and it sounds great and he's had no problems with it.

i just want to make sure it's not going to blow out my cab speakers, because if it will i'll just save that amp for whenever i play cleans. I plan on getting a vox ad100vt for christmas, and id probibally run that through the cab if everything works out as planned. I just want to make sure im not going to kill the speakers in the cab with distortion

Find out what type of amp/cab it is, then post back and let us know.
i might not get to see what kind of brand it is. I know it wasn't fender, and that's like all i remember haha. All i remember was two channels, and both channels just had a 3 band EQ, and i think a brightness knob, sorry i wish i could know. Im hoping to ether hook up my future Vox or Valuveking to the cab with the speaker output on them.
1970's? Hmmm.....................It could be a Marshall, Fender (but you said it wasnt a fender), Gibson, or some non-brand amp that was made back then.

I second what BobaciousBob said though
The only problem you could have is that the speakers are fragile. Distortion will not blow up a speaker, the speaker isn't like a little kid who can tell what foods he likes and what he doesn't, and when given food he hates, throws it around the room making a mess. Even if the channels are clean, you can possibly get some distortion out of it, if you can crank the preamp stage up to overdrive the main stage. Just remember, amps and speakers aren't like kids, they are mindless things, one amplifies anything and everything you run into it (it won't balk if you decide to use a different guitar or effect) and one produces sound from electricity, it doesn't care what octave you play the song in or what tuning you use. (granted, it does have limited frequency response, but still...)
well it would probobly be fine. i cant tell you from experience because i dont have anything from the 70s i have stuff from the late 50s and late 60s and early 80s nothin fomr the 70s.

but what the guys said above it should be fine just dont go overboard.

and when you find out what it is let us know before you plug in and maybe we can give you a better idea of what to expect